Over 1,500 Blizzard related video games items are to find a new home in American museum The Strong in Rochester, New York.
The collection has been donated by former Blizzard Entertainment COO Paul Sams and spans items from franchises such as Warcraft, Starcraft and Diablo that have been collected over a 20 year period.
Included are some very early games such as The Lost Vikings and RPM Racing, which were published when the company was called Silicon & Synapse. There’s also plenty of merchandise, as well as lots of Asia-specific blurb.
“During my 20-year career at Blizzard, I accumulated the single largest and most diverse personal global collection of Blizzard Entertainment’s games and franchise related merchandise that anyone has ever seen,” Sams said.
“This collection holds a very dear place in my heart and I wanted to ensure that the materials would be properly preserved for many decades to come. The dedicated and talented team at The Strong were the obvious choice to care for the collection. Most importantly, I wanted to ensure that broadest audience of gamers and fans of entertainment and play would be able to share in this extensive collection of gaming history.”
The director of The Strong’s International Center for the History of Electronic Games Jon-Paul Dyson added: “The Blizzard collection enhances the museum’s extensive collection of other materials related to video game history and complements acquisitions of materials from other key gaming companies such as Atari, Broderbund Software, Microsoft, and Sierra Online.”
Most of the items will go on general display on October 1st.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/forme...museum/0155390