Thread: Idea: Use any keyboard/mouse for PSP requiring no hacking

DCEmu Rookie

Default Idea: Use any keyboard/mouse for PSP requiring no hacking

I have an idea for a way to get ANY keyboard and mouse working with a PSP, requiring little to no hacking

It would require two adapters:

1) PSP2TV Which is being developed by team xtender and should be released in a month or two
    http://www.teamxtender.com/
    This would allow the psp to have a good old ps2 controller port.

2) Max shooter adapter found here:
    http://www.gamebrink.com/forums/showthread.php?t=312
    This would allow user to plug in a keyboard and mouse into the ps2 port on the psp2tv.

Since the Max shooter is already fully customizable, this should theoretically allow you to play most/any PSP game with keyboard or mouse already.... including Quake/Heretic, etc...

However, with people developing text editors and forseeably OS'es (Linux port anyone?) and the like for PSP, having drivers that would accept all inputs from the keyboard and mouse would be VERY useful.

I'm not a coder so I don't know anything about this area- but it seems like it wouldn't be too difficult to make a driver for this....... which would make PSP truly awesome!

Any comments on this? Anyone else think it's a good idea? or have any reasons that it shouldn't work?

DCEmu Rookie

yea, but you would need an interface on the psp, e.g. in the browser which uses it instead of the letter entry tool.

DCEmu Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by SoQb0nc5r
    yea, but you would need an interface on the psp, e.g. in the browser which uses it instead of the letter entry tool.

exactly, that is the drivers to which i am referring

technically i think it would work.. but it would still require some driver code as you mentioned.. in other words you couldnt just pick it up and use it unless the code supported it.

DCEmu Newbie

Default Hmm...

Now, I'm no expert when it comes to the Max Shooter, but doesn't it actually go and translate the keyboard/mouse presses into their PS2 equivalents via the hardware? So the PSP wouldn't actually get any keyboard input, just button presses.
    Basically, you have a keyboard plugged in but you can't actually use it since you can't directly communicate with the keyboard itself.
    Though we might be able to make software to allow us to type in W,A, S, D, Space, B, X, Y, L, Q, E, L, R, Tab, Caps Lock, Backspace, Enter, and the directional arrows... but that seems to be about it. (Default Max Shooter layout, in case you were wondering where I got those letters.)

DCEmu Newbie

Yeah, I agree with DDRLord. Since the data entry method in the PSP is so different from conventional methods it would be kinda hard to provide support of keyboards. Unless of course, some APIs available in the kernel to support it.

DCEmu Rookie

oh well... was a good idea

are there any other keyboards available for psp yet? i heard about somebody hacking a wireless keyboard to work with it but i haven't heard anything since then or seen any pictures or anything

Thread Information