The Quality of Life aspirations of the late Satoru Iwata remain in development at Nintendo.
That’s the message from Nintendo president Tatsumi Kimishima, although the exec remained relatively cagey on the subject in what was an otherwise pretty frank interview.
“Mr Iwata had, when he previously talked about the quality of life initiative, I believe he had talked about it being related to sleep and fatigue,” Kimishima told TIME. “And the only information I really have now is to say that the quality of life initiative is still under development, and I have no further information to share.
“It’s just not at the point in development where I feel I can make any announcements at this time.”
Quality of Life was revealed back in January 2014, with the first QOL product outlined in October. Analysts had speculated, however, that the entire strategy was under threat.
Elsewhere in the interview, the platform holder boss also admitted that while Amiibo has been a big sales hit things haven’t quite panned out as the company expected.
“A challenge that we’re facing right now is, our earliest goal for the Amiibo was to have these connected to software and have them enhance the play experience for the consumer and increase that attractiveness of that combination,” he added.
“What we’re seeing instead is that the Amiibo are being picked up more as a collection item at this point, rather than, say, as an interactive item with software. And so we haven’t really established them as an enhancement for all of our software at this point.
“I think again that challenge is, how can we connect that IP to our software in general, and using the Amiibo to further enhance the play activity will allow us to get more people looking at, they see the Amiibo, they tie it back to the game experience, and then we’re creating a stronger connection with general knowledge of our IP and that fun experience they have.”

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/ninte...tended/0159938