Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Review: Wii-Clip Easy Install Modchip Kit

Reviews Webmaster/Reviewer bandit's Avatar

Rev Review: Wii-Clip Easy Install Modchip Kit

Wii-Clip Easy Install Modchip Kit
    Manufacturer: Wii-Clip
    Site: Buy from Shop.01Media / other distributors
    Price: $25.00-$30.00

Overview : The Next Generation Universal WII CHIP Install Tooling!

Features :
    • Support for full series WII CHIP, included WIIKEY , D2CKEY , D2CPRO , ARGON , D2PRO, WASABI chips, very high install efficiency, you can finish most jobs in 2 minutes.
    • Very easy to install. You just need to solder the chip to the 1:1 points. Then push it cover over the D2C chipset on the drive, plug and play, even don't need the extra wires for VCC and GND , 100% ZERO wires need!
    • Very easy to disable the WII chip, just remove (pull out) the WII-CLIP from the WII motherboard, no need to unsolder anymore. This process will allow you return your WII to its stock configuration, can give back you one 100% original WII immediately.
    • Next generation HIGH precision design, 100% working perfect and stable.
    • Use the special IC encapsulation material, whole wii-clip working like a small radiator, without any overheating issue. We have keep it run over 720 hours to confirm this point.

Quality/Usability : Let me start off by saying that I wont be reviewing any specific chips in this review. This is solely based on Wii-Clip and what it can do.

So not everyone is a modder or even handy with their hands or just plain scared to do it themselves. I fall under all three departments. I'm not ashamed to admit it. What Wii-Clip aims to do is not only help those who are scared or inexperienced, but to make installation a lot easier even for the pros.

When modding a Nintendo Wii, the most scariest party is damaging to motherboard. One mistake and it can fry your Nintendo Wii dead! With the Wii-Clip, you dont have to worry about causing damage to your Nintendo Wii. All you do is snap the Wii-Clip over the Nintendo Wii's chipset and you're done! No more soldering wires onto the Nintendo Wii. You dont even have to use wires for the modchips.

There are different Wii-Clips available for each modchip. You have WiiKey, D2Ckey, D2Pro, Argon, Wasabi, even open source such as OpenWii, Wiinja, WiiFree and many more. As new modchips become available or even upgraded ones, Wii-Clip will have one.

As I mentioned above, I'm not handy when it comes to soldering or modifying electronics. But I was able to do it. Of course, I borrowed a friends soldering iron and had an old PC motherboard laying around. Once I felt comfortable and confident enough, I dove right in. Simply line up your modchip to the Wii-Clip and solder the points together. No more need for wires or soldering to your Nintendo Wii. However, to ensure that the modchip will line up with the Wii-Clip, I first soldered on one corner. Once that was soldered, I soldered a corner opposite from my first spot. My method was similar to that of tightening lug nuts on a car tire. With this method, if I so happen to move the Wii-Clip or modchip accidently, it wont be misaligned.

Once all the points are soldered on the modchip and Wii-Clip, it was now time to install it onto the chipset on the Nintendo Wii. But before doing so, you must take the "PROTECT LABEL" sticker and place it under the modchip. This prevents any points on the modchip from touching the Nintendo Wii motherboard. Now take the Wii-Clip, place it over the chipset and push down. Some down force will be needed to make sure that the Wii-Clip is tightly in place and will not fall off. At first, I felt scared because the Wii board was bending but it held up and is sturdy. Once in place, take the decorative Mario looking background paper. Not only is it used for packaging but its also used to protect the modchip from touching the Nintendo Wii. Just rip off the flap in the middle and fit the Wii-Clip through the opening.

As stated above, the Nintendo Wii was only disassembled and none of the components were soldered or tampered with. This keeps the Nintendo Wii's warranty still intact if a problem ever arises. Even if you no longer wanted the modchip, there is no damage to the Nintendo Wii.

Before closing up the Nintendo Wii and to ensure that the Wii-Clip worked, I turned on the Nintendo Wii and it worked. Inserted both an original Wii game and a backup and both worked flawlessly. Once I knew it was working, I closed everything back up and tested the games again and experienced no problems.

When removing the Wii-Clip, it was a bit tough to remove. Wii-Clip suggested using a sharp object but I used a small flat-head screwdriver. They also mentioned to pry from the corners only and from all 4 sides.

Conclusion : Overall, the Wii-Clip Easy Install Modchip Kit is probably the most easiest and safest method of installing a modchip. No damage is done to the Nintendo Wii. Even if you messed up the soldering, its on the modchip and Wii-Clip. If for whatever reason you totally screwed it up and no longer works, you only have to pay for the chip and Wii-Clip. Its a lot better than having to hunt down for a Nintendo Wii and spending $250USD for a new one.

The Wii-Clip comes in an assortment and is available for WiiKey, D2Ckey, D2Pro, Argon, Wasabi, even open source such as OpenWii, Wiinja, WiiFree and many more. So no one is left out! Whats great is that if you have multiple modchips and for whatever reason a game does not work, you can simply open up your Wii and swap the Wii-Clip with modchip.

Please note that none of the "upgrade" products listed in this site are endorsed by Nintendo, Sony and/or Microsoft. DCEmu Reviews and DCEmu Network does not condone piracy. The primary functions of a "modchip" and/or "flashcart" are to allow you to play imported games and homebrew software that you legally own or simply just for experimenting with hardware. We in no way endorse piracy, and encourage all users to do the right thing and support the developers/manufacturers that support them. We do not take any responsibilities for any use outside of these parameters or where the use of such a device is illegal.

Images via comments
    Follow us (1KIND Photography): Website | YouTube | Facebook | Twitter
    Follow Us (DCEmu Reviews): YouTube | Facebook | Twitter

Images of D2Pro, Wasabi and WiiKey...
    Last edited by bandit; May 16th, 2008 at 02:42.

DCEmu Pro

i think modchips fail.

So if I was to use this on my bro's D2C machine all I have to do is solder the modchip to Wiiclip and not solder anything to the actual board itself

PSN ID: splodger15

DCEmu Newbie

Hm would this allow using a Wiikey on a D2C?

wow... that is awesome!~
    Thanks for the nice review!

should've waited a little longer it would of made the install 10 times less unnerving.

Quote Originally Posted by Jockel View Post
    Hm would this allow using a Wiikey on a D2C?
    No because the WiiKey doesnt work on a D2C. Wii-Clip doesnt modify how the modchip works. It just makes installation a lot easier and no modification to the Nintendo Wii's motherboard.

already??!
    old news, i've made a thread in the wii section about my experience of this, go check it out before you buy it!
    really troublesome thingy...

EDIT: here's the link to my thread, just read what i have to say..

http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/sho...d.php?t=102715
    Last edited by ____anders____; May 18th, 2008 at 17:01.

News? This is a review. Everyone posts things at different times depending on when they get it.
    Last edited by bandit; May 18th, 2008 at 19:35.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information