Thread: PS2 games now available on PlayStation 4

Blog Entries

Default PS2 games now available on PlayStation 4

Gamers can now play PS2 titles on their PlayStation 4.
    Sony Worldwide Studios boss Shuhei Yoshida announced via the PlayStation Blog that eight PS2 games would be available to play on PS4.
    Those titles are Dark Cloud, Grand Theft Auto 3, Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, Rogue Galaxy, The Mark of Kri, War of the Monsters and Twisted Metal: Black.
    Yoshida says these titles have been up-rendered to 1080p and come with PS4 features, including Remote Play, Activity Feeds, Second Screen as well as Live Broadcast and Share Play.
    This functionality was announced in November. At the time it was not clear whether PS2 backwards compatibility would mean gamers would be able to use their physical discs to play PS2 titles – now it has been announced that PlayStation 2 games have to be bought digitally.
    The above titles all have price tags of £11.99, with the exception of Twisted Metal and War of the Monsters which will set gamers back £7.99.
    This functionality is likely an attempt to compete with Microsoft's Xbox One backwards compatibilitywhich lets gamers play Xbox 360 titles on their new hardware. 104 releases are part of this functionality.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/ps2-g...tion-4/0160064

Blog Entries

I will dust off a few PS2 titles from my collection in the coming few days to see if they work.

I know I had issues with my fat PS3 for playing physical PS2 games, so I don't hold any hope for the PS4.

EDIT: 09/12/2015 15:00

Tried GTA 3, GTA Vice City and one that wasn't on the list... Final Fantasy X.

No physical PS2 discs are working on the PS4, which you get the message stating the disc is unsupported. So another screw-over from SONY, as we will have to re-purchase these titles from the PS4 version of the PlayStation Store (PS2 purchases from the PS3 PlayStation Store are unavailable).

GTA 3

GTA Vice City

Final Fantasy X

As anyone would already know, SONY wouldn't allow physical backwards compatibility because it would surge the pre-owned market and thus meaning they wouldn't actually be making any money from it. Physical PS2 compatibility died with the original PS3, where they did keep the compatibility for PSone titles throughout each model of the PS3, yet they have a digital market for PSone titles also. In all honesty, SONY have made the announcement for backwards capability on the PS4 and they will be very frugal about how it is used because if they can control the market on games that are 10-15 years old, they will in every effort to keep people pouring their money into the current generation.

If there is no backwards compatibility with the PS3 and having the backwards capabilities of the PS2 dropped from the PS3 in 2008, I don't actually see SONY starting now.
    Last edited by VampDude; December 9th, 2015 at 16:05.

Damnation, I hoped to get out some PS2 and run them straight off the PS4. Just as well I still have a backward compatible PS3 and a couple of 50000 series PS2s to play them but that's beside the point though. Can't even run PS3 games in PS4 either, grr!

Thread Information