Poll: Have you bricked your PSP?

Thread: PSP Slim downgrading gone horribly awry

Question PSP Slim downgrading gone horribly awry

I attempted to mod my friend's PSP 2001 (Slim and Light, silver edition). I performed the Pandora's Battery instructions located here (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/sho...ra%27s+battery ) to convert a Sony 1 GB MemoryStick Pro Duo into a JigKick stick, and a PSP-110 battery into a Pandora's Battery. Both PSPs are functioning... to a degree. The Slim is now running 3.71 M33, but believes itself to be my Fat and Heavy. Under System Information, it doesn't list a MAC address, even after resetting to System Defaults. The Fat has been upgraded to 3.90 M33 (I'm planning to bring it up to M33-3 as soon as this fiasco is over), but I'm unable to convert the fat battery back into an ordinary battery, as the Battery Firmware Installer refuses to start on my fat PSP (I haven't tested it on the slim, but I'm coming to that).

The slim is a whole other story. Currently it believes it's the fat, and refuses to report a MAC address (yes, WLAN is on). Using Desoertar del Cementerio v3 (http://pspupdates.qj.net/Dark-AleX-s.../49/aid/104131 ) I've managed to reflash the Slim with both 3.71 OFW and M33-2, and in neither situation have I been able to create a 100% functional install. Things get more interesting, as when I do boot the firmware, I find that the PSP refuses to boot any software, claiming incorrect region coding (using either a UMD Video or MemoryStick based software. All software/hardware/discs are North American NTSC, so no mismatch should occur). At this poing, the Slim's FLASH0 and FLASH1 partitions have been formatted multiple time, and the system defaults have been reset plenty of times, yet the data persists.

Now this is where stuff goes non-standard. Originally, I used Despertar del Cementerio using instructions given to me by a friend, which neglected to mention the NAND back-up option, so I have no original NAND backup to work with (I do have a battery EEPROM backup, however) For some reason I have yet to understand, my friend purchased not one, but TWO silver PSP-2001s. They're completely identical, except for the fact that one came running 3.90 OFW and the other was running 3.95 OFW. I set the 3.95 model aside to make sure I didn't confuse the two. Figuring I can't possibly do any more harm at this point (I still have the Pandora's Battery and recovery stick) I dumped the 3.95's NAND with the intention of restoring it on top of the malfunctioning PSP's firmware, in the hopes that it would at least boot reliably without the recovery stick, report a MAC address, and acknowledge that it exists in the proper region. The 3.95 device continues to operate as expected. When I overlaid the 3.95's NAND onto the modified Slim's, it refused to boot the firmware. At that point, I once more installed 3.71 M33-2 from the Recovery Stick. After resetting to system defaults for what feels like the hundredth time, I found the system completely unwilling to boot into the firmware. Once more as a fallback, I restored to 3.71 OFW, and no changes occured. I can still boot into Despertar del Cementerio recovery mode, but otherwise the device is bricked. On a hunch, I once more attempted to restore the Slim, this time using the Fat's NAND. This probably was the dumbest thing I tried all night, but I figured there's no way it could make things worse the machine was already bricked. I received an Error in Read for my trouble. At this point, I figured I would go back to trying to load 3.71 OFW. I'm a little worried that the whole thing is shot right about now.

At this point I find myself with three PSPs, and only one of which functions correctly (the unmodified slim with 3.95 OFW). It would be nice if I could at least restore my battery, so that I can use my PSP without a wall charger and a gaping hole in the back, but ce la vie. Other than the battery, the Fat is 100% functional, running 3.90 M33 with access to the recovery mode. The confusing thing is that I expected the Recovery utility would simply obliterate all data stored on the NAND, leaving the PSP as if it had just left the factory, loaded with 3.71, with no left over variables stored. The Recovery utility *claims* to be formatting FLASH0 and FLASH1, yet nothing seems to happen as a result. This leaves me wondering: aren't there four FLASH partitions located on the NAND? Is there a way to factory reset them?

when u made the majic memory stick did u select the 4th option so that way u could unbrick?
    or u could just start all over and put the memory stick in and then the pandoras and install the ofw or 3.71 m33 again
    thats what did when i bricked my freinds

Damn man that sounds like a lot of crazy $#@!
    Three things to point out:

1 - You've rendered the silver unmodded slim completly useless, cause psp's nand are unique to each psp, so by restoring another one's nand you've ****ed it up beyond repair, nothing can unbrick it

2 - I think that the pandora battery creator works on 1.50 kernel, you should install 1.50 kernel addon on your fat (if you haven't already), and put the pandora battery creator on the correct folder ms0:PSP/GAME(if kernel is set to 1.50 on recovery) or ms0:PSP/GAME150 (if kernel is set to 3.XX). That way you can recover your battery with your eproom backup and it'll be fine.

3 - Your friend wich gave you the instructions is a mooron

You've learned the hard way that you need to backup the nand first, too bad, better luck next time
    Last edited by mike_jmg; May 24th, 2008 at 19:45.

Blog Entries

I own the first bricked slim psp in all of north america but its recovered.. Your slim is screwed though lol.

The dumbest thing I ever heard.

I almost did the same thing though, but luckily it didn't happen.

EDIT:Also I thought I bricked a friends pspbut found out I didn't, the cpu was going 20mhz instead of 222mhz
    Last edited by pspmodel1001; May 24th, 2008 at 23:07.

Quote Originally Posted by ICE View Post
    I own the first bricked slim psp in all of north america but its recovered.. Your slim is screwed though lol.
    LOL
    I consider part of that my fault, glad to hear it is ok

Thread Information