Thread: DCEmu Asks - Intellivision a History & Whats the greatest Intellivision Game Ever ?

Blog Entries

Home/News DCEmu Asks - Intellivision a History & Whats the greatest Intellivision Game Ever ?

Continuing our network wide feature for just about every console thats emulated and that we own, in time it can be used as a reference point for people to look at what games are the very best on each system

Firstly heres a look at each system and a description to remind you of the history of the console.

Intellivision

Intellivision
    Intellivision was released in 1979 by Mattel. It was also released under different names to expand its market. The Intellivision was released in Sears stores as the Super Video Arcade, at Radio Shack as the Tandyvision I, and as the GTE/Sylvania Intellivision.

Intellivision was the main competitor of the Atari 2600. It's graphical capabilities were much better than Atari's console.It was the system to own for playing sports games, but also had a fair amount of action games and strategy games thrown into the mix as well. While Intellivision excelled at graphics and sound, the Atari 2600 was more capable of handling action games due to its superior speed.

So why didn't the Intellivision surpass the Atari 2600 in popularity? For one thing, the Intellivision had little 3rd party software developer support until late in it's life (nowhere near the amount the Atari 2600 had). Also many people did not like the disc controllers, which may have been great for sports games, but made other games difficult to play. Atari also had nailed down almost every popular arcade / movie license they could get their hands on. This left Mattel scrambling for less popular arcade games from Data East and other developers. So what better way to expand your game library then to add your competitor's consoles games! Mattel released a Atari 2600 adapter which gave the Intellivision an even greater library of games.

In 1982, the console would be remodeled (Intellivision II) with a lockout feature that prevented Atari 2600 (and unfortunately some of their own games) from being played. It did however improve the controllers, and added a device that added voice to some games. Also in July of this same year, Mattel approached Bandai to distribute Intellivision in Japan. The Bandai Intellivision retailed for 49,800 yen.

In 1984, the rights to the Intellivision were sold for 16.5 million dollars. The new company called INTV Inc began rumors of the release of the INTV III, or Super Pro System. This redesigned unit was identical to the original console, except that it had a black plastic case with silver plates, and also had a Power LED indicator between the Power and Reset switches. The console was released in 1985, and appeared in Toys R Us, Kiddie City, and mail order catalogs. The console continued to sell into the 1990's with 35 new game titles released. INTV Inc continued to sell out it's stock in 1991, and it eventually became a piece of gaming history.

All in all The Intellivision was an impressive machine that sparked the first real console rivalry in console history. For example, Mattel used television advertisements demonstrating Intellivision graphics outperforming Atari 2600. These rivalries would be duplicated by other companies in later years. Intellivision is also the only 2nd Generation console to have survived the "Videogame Crash of 1984."

FACT: No the stats are not typos...The GI 1600 processor had 16 bit registers, used 16 bit RAM, and has 10 bit instructions. So in an odd way you could call Intellivision a 16 bit system.

In 1987, a new Intellivision model called INTV System IV began to surface. This model would have detachable controllers, and some sort of timing device. It never saw the light of day.

Whats the Best Intellivision Game ?

More DCEmu Console History Can Be Found Here

Previous History Topics:

Xbox a History & Whats the greatest Xbox Game Ever ?
    DCEmu Asks - Colecovision a History & Whats the greatest Colecovision Game Ever ?
    DCEmu Asks - Master System a History & Whats the greatest Master System Game Ever ?
    3DO a History & Whats the greatest 3DO Game Ever ?
    PC Engine a History & Whats the greatest PC Engine Game Ever ?
    Atari2600 a History & Whats the greatest Atari2600 Game Ever ?
    Playstation2 a History & Whats the greatest PS2 Game Ever ?
    Nintendo 64 a History & Whats the greatest Nintendo 64 Game Ever ?
    Nintendo Gamecube a History & Whats the greatest Gamecube Game Ever ?
    Sega Genesis/Megadrive a History & Whats the greatest Game Ever ?
    Sony Playstation a History & Whats the greatest PSone Game Ever ?
    Sega Dreamcast a History & Whats the greatest Dreamcast Game Ever ?
    Nintendo NES / Famicom a History & Whats the greatest NES Game Ever ?
    Snes a History & Whats the greatest Snes Game Ever ?
    Atari Jaguar a History & Whats the greatest Atari Jaguar Game Ever ?
    GX4000 a History & Whats the greatest Amstrad's GX4000 Game Ever ?
    FM Towns Marty a History & Whats Your Favourite Game
    Sega 32X a History & Whats the greatest 32X Game Ever ?

seriously who cares about this you could never figure how to play this stupid thing even if you were a rocket scientist.

Quote Originally Posted by steve520 View Post
    seriously who cares about this you could never figure how to play this stupid thing even if you were a rocket scientist.
    That's you only. But back in the day, it was the best system behind the Atari 2600.

I didn't play many games, but I liked Donkey Kong, Frogger, Zaxxon, Pitfall! and Popeye

DCEmu Newbie

Personally I loved this system. I collected these older systems when I was younger and I would have to say my most favorite memories was my brother and I playing Intellivision Hockey and just smacking the crap out of each other. That and their tank wars game was phenomenal. I like my Atari, don't get me wrong. But I liked all the options my Intellivision had. Oh, and I also have the voice adapter with a space game (looks suspiciously like Star Wars, what with the Tie Fighter-esque bad guys) and it's awesome! I still have a number of the games, although I think I blew a resistor in the system a few years back. I need to take it apart and have a look at it, if I ever do. I also have all the cards that you slide into your controller to cover up the numbers with the functions that are available in the different games. All in all, a fantastic system that really didn't get it's props.

P.S. I'm a big TRS-80 fan too, so that kinda lets you in to what level geek I am... :rofl:

P.P.S. I almost forgot... the voice adapter that is so cool is about a 1/3 of the size of the machine itself. Looks really silly once you've hooked it up since the system itself is rather large anyways.
    Last edited by Sarxos; May 27th, 2008 at 06:45.

Astrosmash, Tron Deadly Discs and Star Strike ruled. Even Alien Armada (their Space Invaders clone) was great.
    The World Of Owen Rubin
    Atari Coinop Game Programmer #4
    http://www.orubin.com/

DCEmu Newbie

Quite bluntly put, "Astrosmash" was definitely my top game for this system, and either "Utopia" or "Star Strike" would be my second.

Tron Deadly Discs

Thread Information