Thread: lxdream WIP - Ok, break time’s over

Dreamcast lxdream WIP - Ok, break time’s over

Progress on the Sega Dreamcast emulator for PC.

So I get back from vacation and discover that my main desktop has decided to commit suicide. On the bright side, its replacement has two important advantages. Firstly, it’s somewhat faster; and secondly it runs 64-bit code natively - in other words you can start to expect x86-64 to work at least as well as i386 does . Also it doesn’t overheat under a moderate load like the old one did either, which is nice.

Interestingly enough, on said new machine, the 64-bit version runs about 12% faster than the 32-bit version. That’s… pretty impressive actually.

On the Mac front, I’ve finally stumbled over the reason I couldn’t get it to work properly (It simply refused to become the active application, take key focus, etc) - apparently Cocoa really, _really_ wants to run inside an application bundle, and gets very unhappy when there isn’t one… At least now that that’s sorted I should be able to get the preliminary cocoa ui in real soon now.

So based on current scheduled items, you can probably expect 0.9 somewhere towards the end of July.

Changes

* Change FR bank handling to swap rather than using an index pointer. Actually slightly faster + simpler this way
    * Fully integrate the SH4 instruction counting (enabled with ./configure –enable-sh4stats)
    * Cleanup lots of compile warnings (not all yet, but getting there) that have been hanging around for a while
    * Fix save states on x86-64 (and also fix compatibility with 32-bit saves)

Will the Mac version be a universal binary or Intel only?

Thread Information