Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: QuakeWii WIP20080528 - Major Update

DCEmu Rookie

Rev QuakeWii WIP20080528 - Major Update

Elaun has given us a lot in just a matter of days

Uploaded a work in progress version to show what I've been doing.

For now:
    -It resets properly on the Wii (still not able to return to the loader, though.)
    -Reads files from the front Wii SD slot (saving disabled, forgot to reenable it before uploading, but you can remove the return lines on SYS_FileOpenWrite and SYS_FileWrite to make it work.)
    -Wiimote suport, tried to map the buttons on the wiimote and nunchuk more or less like the gamecube ones, wiimote IR aiming and nunchuk up-motion jumping.

Bugs:
    -Wiimote disconnects too fast, need to read the libogc headers again and determine how to make the idle time longer.
    -If the wiimote disconnects, screen turns grey (only the game screen, not the status bar or menu) and stays this way until you reload the game (starting a new game won't help)
    -Maybe you'll have to disconnect and reconnect the nunchuk to your wiimote to make it work (again, this is a 1-day, no-prior-experience implementation, it will be fixed)
    -Something else I can't remember.

That's it, please don't complain about the wiimote implementation and SD card reading yet. The wiimote code is completely new to me (and I don't know about the real stability of the code on the libogc cvs) and the SD reading doesn't use libfat yet, but use the wiisd functions from the latest libogc CVS.

Download and Give Feedback Via Comments

Freaking awesome, I just tried this out and it's already looking ace. Some minor wiimote aiming issues and the palatte could use some tweaking, but another excellent release

DCEmu Newbie

wow this is really really impressive, funny how you claim you don't know what your doing with the controls yet it controls better than half of the wii's fps's. Great job.

DCEmu Newbie

this is really great, controls are great so far.

any chance you could get it working with the tenebrae version of quake? That would be truely epic

Guys, you jump way ahead. Elaun stated when he took over the project that his experience in Wii programming is minimal. Porting Tenebrae over is different then standard Quake. Tenebrae is hardware accelerated, meaning you'd have to bust out some major GX coding.

Of course, I wouldn't doubt Elaun's ability if it were to be attempted.

DCEmu Newbie

It wont load on my wii. I have the ID1 folder on my sd cards root and im loading it using The homebrew loader method.

EDIT: I finally got it working (had to update to the Homebrew channel) and I am loving every secong of it. I just cant find what I have to change to save the game. I also cannot wait till multyplayer is up and running on this(if ever). Just imagine DS vs PC vs Wii vs PSP.
    Last edited by fook123; May 29th, 2008 at 05:31. Reason: Got it to work

great i've been waiting for this a LONG time now, awesome with the wiimote + nunchuck support

and of course the front SD support!

Nice release.

The controls on this WIP are fantastic!

I'll have a go with my classic Simpsons Dreamcast mod of quake next and see if that works...

edit: Ahh gutted its a no go.

The emu boots up but as soon as it goes to the options it crashes and comes up with loadsa text on a black screen.

Hopefully in time mods will work?
    Last edited by Baboon; May 29th, 2008 at 20:18.

very good for one days work hopefully we'll see multiplayer support in a future release

DCEmu Newbie

multiplayer support would be pretty intense,

I don't know how hard this would be but i had an idea with regards to aiming.

as Quake always shoots at the centre of the image (but our crosshairs are moving about due to the wii pointer) how about a system where we have one regular cross hair centered in the middle that doesnt move, and a slightly transparent one (maybe a diff shape) that signifies where the wii pointer is ?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information