Thread: PS3 firmware 2.40 said to be bringing in-game XMB, trophies

Blog Entries

ps3 PS3 firmware 2.40 said to be bringing in-game XMB, trophies

It's not confirmed by Sony just yet, but Videogaming247 says it has it on "good authority" that the upcoming version 2.40 firmware update for the PS3 will at long last bring with it in-game XMB, as well as the slightly less-anticipated trophy support. If those sources are to be believed, the update will be dropping sometime in June, with some speculation further pointing to a release in advance of Metal Gear Solid 4's June 12th launch. There's apparently still some testing to be done to ensure that the in-game XMB will work with all titles, however, and it seems like features like trophies and user-music via XMB will only be supported in games created with the new developers tools that have apparently already been released in advance of the firmware update.

http://www.engadget.com/2008/05/30/p...-xmb-trophies/

Um, couldn't games just be patched to support in-game music?

DCEmu Legend

Or even better, simply edit the PS Button function and add the option to listen to music, no patching required whatsoever, since all games call the same PS Button function when its pressed.

Sometimes I think Sony is stupid

DCEmu Newbie

It's because of lag issues...It's hard to harness the PS3s power and also because they want to give us a working in-game XMB soon (Because we whine and b*tch about it like 3 year olds at the check-out line wanting that candy bar on the second shelf). It could work and probably would be just fine by most (psp) homebrew user's viewpoint, however, that doesn't pass on the market.

They have to make sure it works and works nicely. So, it will only be available on games that support it (I.E. when button is pressed, pauses game to limit lag or stop some background mechanics). I imagine it'll be updated frequently in the future until it's supported by all games. I'm hoping it works just fine on PSX and PS2 games, I'd like to listen to music while I play FFXI.
    Last edited by Mazu; June 1st, 2008 at 21:20.

All I can say is that I hope it's true and it's about time.

cant wait but wraggy you kinda found it a little late

Thread Information