Valentines Day

Thread: Ubisoft reworking Just Dance kids mode after parental complaint over subscription ads

Blog Entries

Default Ubisoft reworking Just Dance kids mode after parental complaint over subscription ads

Ubisoft has come under fire from parents over in-game marketing for its Just Dance subscription service.
    The issue centres around the recently released Just Dance 2019, which lists both songs on the disc and ones from the Just Dance Unlimited service (a collection of tune from previous games) on its in-game tracklist.
    The 2019 version also brings back a Kids mode, introduced last year, that focuses on songs aimed at younger players. But a parent has complained about the inclusion of Unlimited tracks in this section.
    As our sister site Eurogamer observes, Ubisoft markets the Kids mode as "a safe space for Kids to have fun and enjoy dancing". Parent and Reddit user 'darkheartsmd' accused the game of "spamming" their child to sign up.
    "Bought the game for my son (6) because he loves to dance," the user wrote. "Was going fine until he tried selecting the song about sheep in the kids mode. Every time it would ask him to subscribe. They need to remove those songs from the list until an adult subscribes in the normal mode."

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...bscription-ads

Ubisoft has come under fire from parents over in-game marketing for its Just Dance subscription service.
    The issue centres around the recently released Just Dance 2019, which lists both songs on the disc and ones from the Just Dance Unlimited
    write my essay service
    (a collection of tune from previous games) on its in-game tracklist.
    The 2019 version also brings back a Kids mode, introduced last year, that focuses on songs aimed at younger players. But a parent has complained about the inclusion of Unlimited tracks in this section.
    As our sister site Eurogamer observes, Ubisoft markets the Kids mode as "a safe space for Kids to have fun and enjoy dancing". Parent and Reddit user 'darkheartsmd' accused the game of "spamming" their child to sign up.
    "Bought the game for my son (6) because he loves to dance," the user wrote. "Was going fine until he tried selecting the song about sheep in the kids mode. Every time it would ask him to subscribe. They need to remove those songs from the list until an adult subscribes in the normal mode."

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...bscription-ads
    No wonder, subscription ads are usually the pain for users. And advertising to kids is just not right. It's probably even immoral, though I've been trying to decide how it may influence kids programs in the future. I then recall my experience with all sorts of ads when I was a kid. I didn't understand then that they showed them just for my dad to buy a thing.

Thread Information