Sony made a rare appearance back in the news last week.
We've not really heard much from the console market leader since last June (outside of, you know, launching the smash hit Spider-Man and selling a huge amount of hardware). Sony is between worlds right now. It is working on its next-gen strategy, but it can't talk about that just yet. It has a new structure, but it's still tweaking and finalising. It has some big games coming out, but we know about them already. Sony, at this point in time, doesn't have a lot to say.
That is backed up by the absence of its usual European press conference or the PlayStation Experience last year, and its decision to forgo E3 for the first time in almost 25 years. Sure, this does open the floor for Nintendo and Xbox to waltz around unimpeded. But I'm sure the top brass at Sony will make do with its award-winning games and record-breaking console sales in the mean time.
So it's nice to see Shawn Layden pop up in the news last week, with a handful of interviews and a keynote talk at DICE.
"Layden's comments feel a bit harsh, especially when you consider how some of the most significant PS4 moments took place during E3"
Layden was candid, but in a controlled away, with plenty of talk about past mistakes and how great its competitors are -- it was right out of the Phil Spencer PR playbook. Yet Layden couldn't resist dishing out a bit of criticism, too, and he reserved it for the world's biggest video games event: E3.
"When we decided to take video games out of CES back in 1995, during the PlayStation 1 era, E3 served two constituencies: retailers and journalists," Layden told CNET. "Retailers would come in -- you'd see a guy come in, and he'd say, 'I'm from Sears, and I handle Hot Wheels, Barbie, VHS and video games. So what are you about?' There was a huge educational component.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...fied-l-opinion