We’ve got a little more information and some concept art of the new Sesame Place - San Diego opening in 2021. For those wondering, Aquatica - San Diego will still open for the 2020 season, though I would imagine you will get a close up look at some early phases of the construction when Aquatica opens for the last season on Memorial Day weekend 2020.
It’s fun to note that the original Sesame Place opened in the Philadelphia area in 1980, and while this will be the first new Sesame Place to most of you, Anheuser-Busch did actually build a second Sesame Place in the Dallas/Ft Worth, Texas area that was only open from 1982-1984, but it was forced to close due to too much competition from other parks and waterparks in the area. According to press releases the new park will feature 11 water park attractions (which I believe is most of the existing attractions currently in Aquatica) and see the addition of 7 new rides.
Based on the artwork, I believe the new rides will be a Super Grover themed family coaster (Vekoma or Zierer maybe?), the SS Duckie crazy submarine ride, a character themed carousel, an Abby Cadabby themed wave swinger, an Elmo themed spinner / dumbo style ride, what looks like a Sambo Balloon ride and a pair of Hege kid-powered tower rides themed to Cookie Monster.
On the water slide side of things, it looks like only one slide tower is missing from the concept art, which would be the current Hoo Roo Run tower which features four high speed / high thrill slides. The current site of Hoo Roo Run appears as if it will be replaced by a new stage show theater. The Whanau Way slides appear as if they will be given a Snuffy theme, the WooHoo Falls and Kiwi Curl towers will become themed to Bert and Ernie, Walalla Wave themed to Oscar the Grouch, Tassie’s Twister turned into Cookie’s Mosnter Mixer and Taumata Racers themed after blue and green characters I’m not familiar with.

SeaWorld Entertainment just dropped a bombshell of a surprise announcement on everyone this morning that even I did not see coming. Would you believe that in Spring 2021 they will open a brand new Sesame Place theme park in San Diego? Well… sort of brand new, as the new Sesame Place - San Diego will be built up from the waterpark currently known as Aquatica - San Diego, becoming a nearly 17-acre family friendly theme park with rides, live character shows and the fun water slides! According to the announcement on Facebook it will also have an “award-winning parade & an interactive neighborhood”.