Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ubisoft urges rescue of "directionless" PSP

psp Ubisoft urges rescue of "directionless" PSP

via Eurogamer

Ubisoft has called for immediate action from Sony in order to stop publishers abandoning the PSP.

Speaking exclusively to GamesIndustry.biz, UK big cheese Rob Cooper said the handheld lacks direction, as Sony is confused about how to sell a machine he feels is over-priced and too technical for most of us.

"I think that Sony is disappointed with sales and it's unsure as to which way to take it," Cooper told GamesIndustry.biz in an interview published today.

"Sony needs to show us a bit more about what its plans are to convince the publisher to invest lots more money into it. Especially when you've got the DS selling at such a tremendous pace.

"I suppose it's almost too technical for the casual person, those that are buying the DS at the moment want a few buttons and not a lot more. It's so simple what [Nintendo] has done. That's where I think Sony has gone a little bit too complicated, they've over-specced it, the price is too high and they need to go back to the drawing board and start again," he added.

Cooper doesn't think it's an issue with software pricing, rather Sony hasn't communicated to publishers clearly what direction the machine is going to take in the future.

"I don't think it's a pricing issue," he admitted. "As a publisher I'll always say pricing is not the first point of call. I don't think dropping the price of games is going to sell more product or hardware.

"It's direction, a real strategic decision by Sony as to what it wants to do with that product. It's a great shame that sales are at the level they are, because you've got a hardware system that is absolutely beautiful."

Ubisoft has no games planned for the PSP this year, but Cooper insists the format still has potential, so long as Sony can properly identify its audience and move the system out of "no man's land".

"There are ongoing discussions with Sony about what its decisions and strategies are, how they are going to go forward.

"Certainly, we still see it as a viable format. But we're not developing too many games on it until we get some direction. They've got to decide what they want to do with it, and come out clearly and say, 'this is our strategy, this is our process and this is how publishers can get behind it'."

"At the moment they are in no man's land, they're not sure quite how to tackle the DS competition and who is the PSP consumer. They've got to sort that out first," he said.

Coopers comments come just a month after Sony Europe boss David Reeves admitted that the PSP was suffering from a lack of games.

However, despite support dwindling in Europe and the US, sales of the PSP in Japan continue to rocket. The continued introduction of fresh colours as well as beastly sales of Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G mean the handheld regularly outsells both Wii and DS there.

Pop over to GamesIndustry.biz for the full interview with Ubisoft UK boss Rob Cooper, where he dabbles in all sorts including the problems with Wii owners and why this Christmas is going to be "vicious".

Full interview here

too expensive? a basic black psp and a nds are not that far apart in price (maby an average of 30$)

too technical? it has less buttons than every other playstation, and the stock firmware is pretty DUH

and how the hell do you not know what the future for a game console is, its right there in the market doing decent, its not like were talking about some futuristic prototype that might come to light

what are they going to wait untill its a dead system to make games for it, would hindsight be clear enough or do you want sony to look into the future and see if theres still psp users in 2022?

and its not like ubisoft is trying hard sofar all they have ever made are poor quality "hurry up and port it" titles from the ps2

i mean if your going to call for action you might want to know the price difference and maby make an attempt at something we didnt play 3 or 4 years ago and no longer care about

DCEmu Rookie

If sony was smart they would just open up the psp completely with no restrictions. Give it full unsigned code capabilities; no need for custom firmware other than Sony's. As long as they provide a disclaimer that they are not responsible for any damage you do to you PSP I think it would be just fine. This would bring much more interest as a whole to the PSP.

It's not a technical device at all really, it just sounds like someone is just trying to make an excuse for why people aren't interested; truth be told homebrew is the best part of the PSP and Sony is bent on stopping it. Dumb move Sony.

just get developers to release games such as devil may cry gran turismo and another GTA woulnt hurt and the sales would increase. quite frankly i need another PSP as my last one was stolen and well i dont was a slim as i like the fatty but im still curious whether another new psp might bee around the corner

DCEmu Newbie

Too technical?!?

What is so technical in insertinf the UMD in the drive and turning the PSP on?

Too many buttons? Is it a console or a toy for retards?

Gee...

Quote Originally Posted by gensuke View Post
    Too technical?!?

What is so technical in insertinf the UMD in the drive and turning the PSP on?

Too many buttons? Is it a console or a toy for retards?

Gee...
    LOL

For the one that says "Who is the PSP owner", I think anyone can be, since I know owners from 8 years old up to 40 or more, maybe you can sum it up to people who likes technology with no age range
    Last edited by mike_jmg; June 7th, 2008 at 04:23.

I don't recall my PSP has more buttons than my DS.

I never understood why some people say that PSP is so much more geared towards "grown ups". If you ask me it is more mature to FPS with mouse than with a lousy thumbstick with auto-aiming.

I bought DS because my PSP generated great pain in my hands (and I have been active gamer since 1984!), plus I like games with game-music and game-characters. Unlike on the PSP where more games have playlist of commercial artist and sex-fixation to satisfy "grown up" whankers.

What could you expect from a company who released the second episode of Xenosaga in europe without having released the first one or releasing the third one afterwards.

DCEmu Pro

Directionless in that it doesn't have a 'defacto' genre, maybe?

Let's look at systems that do have 'direction':
    N64: Racing, racing, and more racing!
    GBA: "Mommy buy me that!" Nickelodeon and Disney moneygrabs.
    PS2: RPGs, another RPG, and maybe a SRPG sometimes.
    X360: A few FPS games, an FPS or two with space aliens, a handfull of WW2 FPS games, and a couple or three over-the-shoulder shooters. Oh, and Portal.
    DS, Wii: Games for my mom.

Why do people mock the PSPs sales?

It's already sold 40 million!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information