Staggering the global rollout of the Xbox Series X console would "hurt" the platform, according to Xbox boss Phil Spencer, who said that there is still no "Plan B" to launching the console this year.
on its Unlocked podcast, Spencer responded to a question about a "Plan B" that could happen if the spread of the COVID-19 virus makes launching a new console impossible in 2020.
IGN suggested that a staggered launch could be achievable this year, with Xbox Series X made available in some territories before others.
"I know that significant delays in regional launches hurt us," Spencer said, referring to the gradual launch of Xbox One. "It hurts us with the sentiment of the fans. Every time I go to Japan I'm reminded that we were nine months late launching there with Xbox One.
"We haven't started on that Plan B, but I'd be hesitant to do something like [a staggered launch]"
"And the internet means that everybody knows where everything is launched. It's not like 30 years ago... You don't get the roar of people getting excited from other regions.
Spencer added: "We haven't started on that plan B, but I'd be hesitant to do something like that."
Supply chains that rely on China's manufacturing capacity have "started to come back," Spencer said, in a way that bodes well for Xbox to meet its targets for the year.
However, he also stressed that the biggest challenges that Xbox faces right now are "more software related than hardware [related]." With its workforce now operating from their homes, Microsoft is still solving the problem of replicating vital development functions with a distributed team.
"Building a video game from home, with a large distributed team of hundreds of people, is not easy," Spencer said, framing that problem as a moving target that Xbox is still coming to terms with.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...-xbox-series-x