Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GTA IV didn't boost console sales, says analysts

General games GTA IV didn't boost console sales, says analysts

via Games Industry

Analysts at Lazard Capital Markets and Wedbush Morgan secutities have said in their May NPD preview that Grand Theft Auto IV has not generated a meaningful increase in sales for either console - contradicting claims made by Microsoft and Sony - and that software sales for the month have increased in excess of 30 per cent.

Outlining predictions for the games industry ahead of the NPD results, the analysts Michael Pachter, of Wedbush Morgan, and Colin Sebastian of Lazard Capital Markets, predicted a 39 per cent and 30 percent growth in software sales respectively.

Both noted key titles for driving the sales such as Grand Theft Auto IV, Iron Man, Wii Fit, Enemy Territory: Quake Wars, and of Mario Kart Wii.

"Solid videogame software sales continued in May, and we expect roughly 30 per cent growth in console and handheld software for the month," Sebastian said.

However, he added, "We do not believe the recent release of GTA IV has generated meaningful incremental demand for the Xbox 360 or PS3 platforms"

The analysts further noted that price cuts could do more than GTA IV to boost console sales.

"Next generation console unit sales are running well ahead of the level in the analogous period of 2003 (when console prices averaged under USD 200), implying room for significant sales growth as price cuts are implemented," Pachter explained.

DCEmu Newbie

thats exactly what they need to do is cut the prices

obviously, who'd buy a console for only one game?

DCEmu Regular

It didn`t? well maybe because most allready owned the consoles, but GTA IV still sold past records, when theres a positive, theres allways a negative, allways something to contradict another, but every1 is like it uh!

DCEmu Newbie

What the hell ? Those friggin Analysts are pissing me off (sorry, just saying what I think)...

First: the Iphone will crush the DS.. now GTA IV didn't boost sales, then the DQIX prediction... whats next ? Where do they get their numbers and weirdo ideas ? By rolling a dice ? Come on'

Analysts say a lot of things.
    I don't really pay much attention to 'em.

price cut is the one that will boost sales

I only like around 4 games for the PS3 right now, maybe if there were more, that would justify my purchase.

In the meantime i'm still hooked with my PSP, I'll buy a ps3 when something really good comes out and when I have enough money to throw away

analyst always say the obvious.

I think most people who purchased this game owned a 360 or ps3 already.

DCEmu Rookie

The whole point of this is that everyone hoped that GTAIV would convince the large majority of casual people who liked the past series to purchase a next gen console. However it seems that GTAIV doesn't have that kind of pull... Casual gamers are hoping on board the Wii which killed the 360 and PS3 combined with its sales numbers.

The only conclusions that can be drawn are that the price of the PS3 and 360 are still a hindrance to casual gamers and there's no great appeal to draw new people in whereas Nintendo has stolen the hearts and minds of the population with its innovative motion control ideas.

...actually, the PS3 and 360 combined have outsold the Wii, but I get what you mean.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information