"All day yesterday I went through our full review of our July 23rd show," begins Xbox chief Phil Spencer.
"My role is different now. I get to sit back and watch more as a consumer. One of the things that really strikes me is the creative diversity in the portfolio. I am a fan of Xbox, obviously, but I don't mind going to 'are we the shooter box?' is it 'Gears, Halo, Forza, Gears, Halo, Forza'? I know all the memes about us. And I look at what the teams have built already this year, the things that we're going to show, and the things that are coming out later this year, and it is high quality, very different, and takes some creative risks."

Xbox wants to bring in new players. Ones that perhaps are not quite so obsessed with driving fast cars and shooting aliens. It's wanted this for a long time. It's why it built Kinect, and commissions games like Screamride and Viva Pinata. But this time the company hopes to do it through a series of big studio acquisitions that it's made over the past two years, alongside games created by its established teams, like Rare and Mojang.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...to-a-publisher