Thread: Metroid 2 Remake WIP - Alphas are alive...

General games Metroid 2 Remake WIP - Alphas are alive...

News about the homebrew game for PC.

I wonŽt be showing you screens yet, the sprites are being tweaked.

IŽll share with you some info about the current state of the Alpha Metroids:

* Their behavior is very different from the original, since Samus can aim diagonally and you can see a larger portion of the level on the screen. Alphas charge at you at great speed.
    * They canŽt be damaged by frontal hits, you have to hit their core, this means youŽll have to avoid them and hit them from their back, or bottom.
    * They are going to be more agressive as you progress. Later Alphas will take more damage to defeat, theyŽll use a charge attack, and some will dodge incoming missiles.
    * Alpha Metroids canŽt be hit while stunned. YouŽll make sure you aim every missile, instead of firing a barrage and depleting your supply in seconds.
    * Super Missiles deal 2x damage to Metroids, instead of the normal 5x. Stun time is slightly longer, so if you want to keep attacking, youŽll have to time your shots differently.
    * PowerBombs, ScrewAttack and SuperJump/Shinespark wonŽt have any effect on Metroids. There were cool ideas around about using any of these to temporarily paralize them, but they would be easily abused.

Right now IŽm coding the intro sequences: Coming out of a Metroid shell, and normal encounter. The AI is quite challenging, IŽm trying to minimize the possibility of cheap fight tactics to kill them. Battles are unpredictable so far.

IŽve read many cool comments suggesting cool abilities in the last post. Energy leeching grab attacks are planned for later evolutions, since Alphas have very small claws. Zetas and Omegas will be mainly walking, Zetas will be able to temporarily float, Omegas will jump.

IŽll mention this once more, just for the people who ask this every day:
    NO SPACE PIRATES ON METROID 2, NO SPACE PIRATES HERE
    This also means no Ridley. Sorry if you were excited about him.
    ItŽs not that it wouldnŽt be cool to make them part of the story, but I already have a lot of game to make, including pirates would make me take even longer to finish.

About the third area: Mining facilities is the best option IŽve read. Thank you all for your great ideas and thoughts.
    It would make sense to gather minerals that deep into the planet, a processing plant could be a good part of those ruins too. IŽve been thinking of some mechanical puzzles, I even came up with a drill machine that, when activated, drills a path for you to collect an item. I have many ideas on paper right now, if you think of something cool, IŽd love to hear it.

space pirates always seemed like a crappy addition to me anyway, look at fusion that game is ace and it has one space pirate in it.

Thread Information