Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Utopia Project News from Mathieulh

Blog Entries

psp Utopia Project News from Mathieulh

Mathieulh posted some info on the upcoming Utopia Project:

The public release of utopia has been decided and will take effect as soon as I find time to setup the svn and forum sections.

- Despite the project going public, the project is not done yet, thus you cannot (yet) compile a whole kernel from the soon to be supplied sources. We are looking forward seeing people contributing to complete the utopia project.

What we do not know about yet is if utopia will use GPL license or BSD but it is likely to be BSD.

The svn will be readable by everyone but only a few trusted people will be able to update it (so people do not start messing up with the svn by deleting changes or adding irreveliant ones). If you want to contribute to the utopia project you will have to send your code to the forums where it will be added by the staff to the svn later. People who often contribute to utopia will be granted write access to the svn as well.

About the utopia project, for people who do not know about it yet, it is to be an open source kernel for psp, dedicaced and optimised to homebrews. development. (the kernel is planned to use a little more than 1MB or ram, 2MB maximum)
    The kernel is to be fully documented as well and is planned to be divided in 2 parts, one for developers (featuring tools for debugging and development purposes as well as an sdk) and one for homebrewers to run homebrews.

What Utopia wont do/wont feature:

- Utopia is not meant to run Sony's code, thus current homebrews or games wont run on it.
    - Utopia will not feature UMD drive support of any kind.
    - Utopia will not feature any kind of DRM functionalities (at least this is not planned)
    - Utopia will most likely not feature any kirk engine support.
    - Wlan is planned but not a priority at this point.
    - No vsh or graphic interface of any kind is to be included in utopia or officially supported by the utopia project. Utopia is ONLY the kernel,
    if you want to code your own shell on top of it, feel free to do so.

The utopia kernel is NOT based on Linux, freebsd or any other opensource project (unlike uClinux for exemple) , it is based on the 3.71 IPL reverse engeneering. (and later on existing kernel modules reverse)

Once completed and stable the utopia kernel is to be implemented as a new operative mode in future custom firmwares.

Cheers

Ok What are your thoughts on such a project ?

via lanst

DCEmu Rookie

Holy crap! This is beyond awesome.

DCEmu Regular

I think it will create some awesome homebrew but it does kind of suck how you can't launch homebrew from now with it. I'm still looking forward to this.

DCEmu Newbie

Wow!!! best project ever...
    Imagine if that could make possible to build the "oh so hoaxed" CPS3 emulator!!
    I could definelly buy an OS like that for my PSP (especially if there is a way to quick restore the PSP to a modified Firmware in some kind of "pandora's way").

DCEmu Regular

Quote Originally Posted by matieulh

- Utopia is not meant to run Sony's code, thus current homebrews or games wont run on it.
    This project just killed itself.

DCEmu Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by sappo View Post
    This project just killed itself.
    No, because "the utopia kernel is to be implemented as a new operative mode in future custom firmwares".

That should mean that your PSP with custom firmware would be capable of operating as your good ol' stadard PSP (current homebrew) or in "Utopia" mode (the new stuff) from the same firmware install.

It'll be interesting to see what developers are capable of making the PSP do without being hamstringed by Sony.

DCEmu Legend

An open source custom kernel for the PSP sounds cool. Especially seeing all that the PSP is capable of. The thing is, will it attract a lot of coders to develop for it. I think it certainly has potential to.

I read this yesterday on lan.st

I think this project is great and will be the next step in homebrew, but since UMD does not work I hope that you can dual boot this with the XMB.

What exactly is this? I have been away from the scene for a while now and this is the first thing i heard about it? seems interesting though :P

That sounds really sweet!
    Great Idea, a whole new kernal for PSP. I'm definitely going to look into developing for this. I hope It will be a dual-bootable system so that you can switch back and forth by rebooting.

Can't wait to see where this goes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information