Thread: Game Review: Kirby Canvas Curse (DS)

NDS Game Review: Kirby Canvas Curse (DS)

Published by: Nintendo
    Developed by: HAL Laboratory
    Genre: Action
    Number of Players: 1
    Price: $29.99

PODCAST REVIEW BELOW!

Overview:
    OH NO! Kirby has been cursed! well, lets show everyone how we roll! in this amazing kirby game!

Gameplay:
    Unlike the rest of the kirby games, here, you control kirby by drawing a path for him with your stylus, this takes some getting use to, but later on you will be able to fluently move him arround.

You can tap kirby to make him attack and this will also absorb the power of anyone who has it, instead of sucking them in, he rolls faster.

As always, you play as a ball of fat and air named kirby, except this time, you have been cursed, so now your arms and legs have been removed turning you into a perfectly circular sphere.

Now that you are a sphere, you are trying to get revenge (and maybe your limbs too) but to do this, you must first go through a series of levels with bosses every three levels you complete; There are three different types of bosses, and you can choose which one to fight. (don't wanna spoil so I won't tell what they do)

In each level there are three hidden medals you can collect to later spend away on extras from boring songs, to new playable characters!

Gained some weight haven't we kirby?

Graphics:
    Even though the graphics are 2D, they look great, a game like this doesn't need 3D graphics, it is after all a side scroller. The backgrounds look colorful even when they are suppose to be dark, the characters are sprites, simple, but they fit in with the game's art style.

Animations are not often seen, characters walk and explode, very simple, it seems as if they had $5 to make the animations you see in the game.

This scene may have been scarry without the pink ball riding the rainbow.

Sound:
    The game has fun and happy music for the most part, but it is mainly overshadowed by the sound effects, you really won't notice that it is there unless you listen for it.

Replay Value:
    With unlockable characters and hidden medals, you will want to go back and play through some of the maps again (after you are done with a level, you can play it again at any time) it IS after all fun to play as a different ball of fat every now and then.

Seriously, don't be fooled, at first you will find nothing extra to do, but it is all in the medals, collect medals = collect fun. and then off course if you beat the game there is a special extra feature added.

Conclusion:
    It is too bad this game has no multiplayer, but it DOES have good ammount of content outside the main story mode,that is, after you beat the game.

and even if it didn't have the extras, story mode alone is one great reason to get it.

Difficulty:
    Spoiler!

I give this game a:

mah review survey
    Last edited by bandit; December 15th, 2008 at 00:41.

Nice review. Difficulty is near non-existent though.

EDIT: Wow, this audio review was so much better then our first one. Lets hope to keep the momentum!

EDITx2: Well it IS 3 hours after midnight, practically no one is awake at this time of night fg.

please post a comment saying something if you actually look/listen to the video/podcast review! I don't wanna waste my time making this and editing it if no one will use it because it talkes alot of work to do

GREAT REVIEW GUYS!

the podcast is funny. Well this game does look intriguing as I still play Kirby's Dreamland on my GBpocket The thing about Dreamland that was the funnest was that no gamesaves = replay value (well atleast to me) because you want to get further through the game but the only way to do so is to not stop playing. Adding that extra Hard Mode (if you pass the game it gives u it) makes it more worth while to play. Now does this game have that?

By the looks of it, it sounds too easy. I wouldn't mind seeing a new kirby either, taking the one from SSBbrawl and working from there to create a platformer lol.

Good Luck on getting online with prime

Quote Originally Posted by pibs View Post
    GREAT REVIEW GUYS!

the podcast is funny. Well this game does look intriguing as I still play Kirby's Dreamland on my GBpocket The thing about Dreamland that was the funnest was that no gamesaves = replay value (well atleast to me) because you want to get further through the game but the only way to do so is to not stop playing. Adding that extra Hard Mode (if you pass the game it gives u it) makes it more worth while to play. Now does this game have that?

By the looks of it, it sounds too easy. I wouldn't mind seeing a new kirby either, taking the one from SSBbrawl and working from there to create a platformer lol.

Good Luck on getting online with prime

lol, wow thanks for such a great comment! I appreciate it.

to answer your question (if I understood it correctly) there ARE save points on Kirby Canvas Curse, and there ARE two new kirby games coming out, one for wii, and one for ds, the new one for ds looks like any other kirby game, but the one for the wii seems to be full 3D (like mario 64) and not a side scroller.

PS: currently playing Kirby Squeak Squad, and will review as soon as I beat it, but I am in Colombia at this point doing some other stuff, so it might take a while.

Thread Information