Thread: Upcoming R4 Firmware update to brick NDS consoles

Exclamation Upcoming R4 Firmware update to brick NDS consoles

I just heard that the makers of the REAL R4 are to be releasing firmware that will brick NDS units that are running the knock off clones, I think this might be a problem, as it should fry the fakes, not the handheld.

What I read at nds-roms.com;
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Future R4 Firmware Update May Brick your DS!!!
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    In a somewhat ironic twist, the R4 team has announced on GBAtemp that from September 15th onwards, R4 firmware updates may brick your DS. Why have they decided this? Why is it that no firmware update has come out for ages? Do the R4 team hate us? WHHY, R4 team, WHHY???!!!

The R4 team to not hate us, by the way. That was a rhetorical question.

But anyways, for those who have genuine R4 cards, you need not worry! Apparently the bricking only applies to the "R4 clone cards" that are able to function using the R4's firmware. For the rest of you, however, you'll have to find other ways to update your card: Getting the R4 from now on will be playing with Death (for your DS)! Bricking as in completely SCREWING up your DS! Bricking as in making your DS useless so that it functions better as a brick than an actual gaming console!

As soon as this deadly firmware pops-up, the NDS-Roms News team will let you know. Right now, Cake Ninja will do some more snooping around so that you guys may avoid bricking your DS's!!!

EDIT: Since I don't know how to go about finding out if the R4 I have is real, could anyone post something on identifying the fakes from the non-fake?
    Last edited by Omega_2; July 9th, 2008 at 08:08. Reason: Blatant misuse of a comma,

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=93537

origonal thread with pictures of both fake and real r4

:thumbup:

Quote Originally Posted by Okami_Ninja View Post
    http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=93537

origonal thread with pictures of both fake and real r4

:thumbup:
    Oh. Thank you. I was having connection problems for the past couple of days, so I couldn't really do anything or go anywhere, except for here and my gmail account....odd.

okay, so the fake has lighter borders at its edges, then? Mine looks like the real deal, then. But still...I'm tempted to get my screwdriver and make sure, if I could find it.

Thread Information