Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: jEnesisDS 0.7.4 - Genesis Emulator for Nintendo DS

Quote Originally Posted by puslar_t View Post
    Okay if anyone tried Maximum Carnage he or she would notice a full-scale screen running at normal speed and using the newest audio engine! Is the game running in a natively lower res to accommodate the cartoon sprites or does it run in hardware scaling mode? One could hope Lordus has been experimenting with new methods in this build since I don't think full-scale is included any longer!
    The Mega Drive has a low resolution function that runs at 256*224, the DS runs at 256*192. Going by your confusing question you are asking why you can see the whole screen.

The answer is simply because that game probably runs with the "low-res" mode in order to run faster. 3D flight sims often abused this along with huge borders to get every last bit of lag gone... not that it really helped.

Default genius idea!

I have a really good idea,isn't there a way for
    games like sonic3&knuckles,with too big
    of filesize to run,save a cache memory data
    so it will not lag.

And how would sega cd lag so much
    when ds games like zelda phantom
    hourglass with a vsync disable code
    goes faster than normal but like twice
    fast?

Sega CD emulation would lag severely because the Sega Cd being emulated along with the Mega Drive can actually be considered half the DS's power, in CPU power anyway. Obviously it would be near impossible to get full speed.

And about running sonic 3 and knuckles, it is already cached in the RAM, its just that the game takes up all the RAM, limiting emulator use.

The reason Phanton Hourglass would run so fast is because it is being told to not delay any of the speed as a simple way of saying this. Very similar results are findable using jEnesisDS by turning off VSync.

Lightbulb

I know,but is there a way to expand the RAM size so you can play games with bigger romsize?
    also,because sonic cd is similar to the regular genesis series except for special stages,should it run a decent speed if
    support was made for it

P.S. Jenesis DS runs at a very excellent speed at the current time,I think Sonic CD should run at least 45FPS.

P.S.S. A well-known sonic hack made by tweaker and team megamix of sonic retro called sonic megamix runs at full speed for the most:it has loads of features,huge levels,and currently 5 selectable characters,and even a special sound test!
    Last edited by ds benjmin; August 16th, 2008 at 05:25. Reason: a good reason

ds benjmin, unless you have some coding experience yourself, I'd suggest staying away from the "such-and-such emulation should be easy!" comments. They don't help anything.

Sega CD emulation cannot be compared to a native DS game running. At all. The two things are entirely different. For instance, just because the DS can run Super Mario 64 DS doesn't mean it can emulate the N64 at any playable framerate.

I just had expectation because sega cd isn't much
    different than genesis. Also I still think it's possible
    to make a secondary RAM by making a filetype for it. Even though it would take up some space in your sd card but I think it's worth it.
    Last edited by ds benjmin; August 16th, 2008 at 21:43.

well, there is always some hope, unless author says otherwise

Lightbulb

How about this,someone can make a special version of Jenesis DS with sega cd support only!

DCEmu Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by ds benjmin View Post
    I just had expectation because sega cd isn't much
    different than genesis.
    You're missing the point ever so slightly. From what I understand, the Sega CD uses the Genesis's processors, too. And while jEnesisDS looks like it's making emulation of the Genesis easy, in reality, Lordus has had to optimize the code several times and make several hacky workarounds in order to ensure its speed. Adding another 68000 to the two processors already being emulated (the Z80 and the 68000) would be near impossible. (I say "near" because Lordus has impressed us all before.) Just look at the old jEnesisDS threads on DCEmu and you'll see that it's been hard getting up to this point.

Quote Originally Posted by ds benjmin
    How about this,someone can make a special version of Jenesis DS with sega cd support only!
    I doubt that would help anything, because the Genesis still has to be emulated anyways. And "someone" would be Lordus, as jEnesisDS is closed source until/unless Lordus says otherwise.
    I'm not trying to be a jerk, I'm just trying to inform you that your expectations may be a bit too high for the DS to handle.
    Last edited by ethd; August 18th, 2008 at 02:15. Reason: Clarification

sorry ,by "someone" I meant Lordus.
    But if each newer/excellent release it gets faster
    which makes me think eventually,it will be able to run any sort of sega cd rom
    or maybe even 32x roms.

And also,I hope in the eventual next release that
    the savestate bug is fixed cuz when you load a save-state,it is missing some sound that I think is caused by it overlooking some of the sound channels,
    and that there could be screensize options with,widescreen,fullscreen,screen scaling,and screen-size select.
    Last edited by ds benjmin; August 18th, 2008 at 03:29.

Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread Information