Thread: Slight chance for PSP price cut; PS2 to stay at $149

Blog Entries

Default Slight chance for PSP price cut; PS2 to stay at $149

Sony isn’t likely to cut the price of its PlayStation 2 console in an attempt to trip Microsoft’s Xbox 360 launch, but there’s a “slight chance” that the PSP will drop from $249 to something a bit more reasonable as a result of slowing PSP sales, according to a research report by Shawn Milne and Todd Greenwald, analysts at Friedman, Billings, Ramsey & Co., Inc.

They write: “We do not expect a PS2 price cut due to solid sales at $149 and, perhaps, a price umbrella (due to the high price of Xbox 360 hardware and bundles). However, we believe there is a slight chance for a PSP price cut from $249, as sales have slowed somewhat and the Nintendo DS received a shot in the arm with the release of Nintendogs.”

Source - Joystiq

Good point about Nintendogs.

I saw an ad for it online and I went out and bought me and my girlfreind a DS and two of the three Nintendogs versions. We didn't really want a DS prior to that, and all of a sudden we went out and spent $200.

The PSP never did that for me, I just bought it kind of on a whim since I was getting most of it paid by birthday cash anyway.

Granted, I love the easy homebrew aspect of the PSP (I don't have all the availible stuff for DS homebrew) so I love my PSP to death, but even with all it's features, it does not necessarily have anything over the DS in terms of how the market is working out.

Thread Information