Thread: Going For the Mass Market: Good News or Bad?

Blog Entries

General games Going For the Mass Market: Good News or Bad?

I've read a number of thought-provoking pieces over at Only a Game, and this week Chris Bateman has a meditation up on Nintendo, the 'mass market,' moving away from games, and what this could spell for the industry at large. Is it really all it's cracked up to be? Unlike most of my favorite essays from Bateman, this one is pretty short and digestible — he points out that aggressively pursuing the 'mass market' (casual market) is working out splendidly for Nintendo, but he wonders if aggressively targeting that market inherently means moving away from games. And what about the industry at large? Well, that's not so clear:

http://kotaku.com/5027004/going-for-...od-news-or-bad

"more matter with less art?"

"madam i swear, i see no art at all"

The industry better quit catering to the masses or they'll be in the same boat as the other industries.

games will no longer be the art they once were, even if they make less and better games again.
    hence second hamlet quote.

also, jesus said money is the root of all evil. and even though i'm atheist, i believe that to be true.
    i believe it to be the enemy of all art as well. not to mention human education and evolution/progression.

so congratulations to the industry, through it's lust for money it has killed the art. though not their fault as they are only people and people are brainwashed.

now they have no money and no art, talk about losers. actually even us gamers have no money and no art to show for it, lmao. so money makes us lose as humans.

which is why i'm very selective about my games. because i still have to eat and drive. ramen just doesn't cut it anymore.

play on peoples.

DCEmu Old Pro

Businesses wish to make money, they must go where the money is and right now that is the mass market.

Miyamoto has already stated that Wii Music is a toy and it's better than a game. I am so disappointed. I've been a Nintendo fan for as long as I can remember and I have every Nintendo console, but i don't think I'll be getting the Wii 2. I can't just buy a whole new console just for Zelda (and supposedly, that's going down the "Mass Market" road too. )

Thread Information