Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which of these you want to see emulated first in neo4all?

Quote Originally Posted by quzar
    Why wait to play Samurai Spirits RPG and Super Sidekicks 3 on the Dreamcast?
    You mean one is in japanese so it doesnt worth the wait and the other is a soccer game nd because of that it doesnt worth too? Or youre saying that we can play it on pc?

Dream Coder

well... i was kind of trying to point out that both work in neodc. also, samurai spirits rpg runs in neo4all (last i heard) it just takes an ungodly amount of time to load (like 10 minutes or so). super sidekicks 3 should also run, the only problem last time i checked was since raster effects are not emulated, the audience is not visible.
    If anyone is looking to buy, sell, trade games and support a developer directly at the same time, consider joining Goozex. Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by Squaresoft74
    Imo higher priority should go for proper support of original discs which is curently missing.
    It's nice to emulate hacked/rebuilt iso/mp3 NeoGeoCD games but isn't an emulator's main goal to accuratly emulate the original hardware / softwares ?

If the curent compatibility list is based on iso/mp3 rebuilt games , then it's far to reflect the true compatibility when we're talking about emulating original games.
    It got nothing to do with accuracy/compatiblilty or anything. Some/most original NeoGeoCDs use a special 'hardware' copy protection on the discs (you'll notice that all of those have a small ring on the inner circle of the disc), that will prevent the Dreamcast's GDROM drive to read the discs.

I think there's not much we can do against it, except to use backups of our original games.

DCEmu Newbie

Sorry but i'm 100% sure the no disc in drive error is because of the file systems used by some games.
    As i pointed to Quzar already in a private discussion, the same error will occur with a proper backup made from one of these non working original discs and since there is no hardware protections on cdrs , that increases my suspicions even more regarding the file system.

If you own an original disc that gives the error, just make a proper backup of it and see yourself it still won't be read by the emulator while you can access all tracks via the DC cd players without a problem , just like with the original one.

Dream Coder

He's absolutely right. I was however able to get the Dreamcast to read an image from one of these discs via CDFS redirection, with thickens the mystery even more.

Untill I can get my hands on some games like this though, there is very little that I can do. (actually even then, the best way would be something like get two copies of the same game that certain versions have or don't have protection such as Double Dragon).
    If anyone is looking to buy, sell, trade games and support a developer directly at the same time, consider joining Goozex. Enjoy!

Okay then. Thanks to both of you for your work on figuring this out! We never got this far to find the real problem that's causing this.

DCEmu Newbie

Ok , I'm a tad confused ..

Does Neo4ALL let you play ANY *original* Neo CD games on the Dreamcast?

How about simple (non hacked) backups?

What is the most current version of neo4all?

ALso, since there are some Dreamcasts that can play backups (for example: a backup of a Dreamcast game) and some that CAN NOT read backups (the latter can't read CDs only GD-Roms)

So I would assume that a backup of a neo cd game could NOT be read by a DC that does NOT read CDs /only GD-roms.

However, would that same DC be able to read a ORIGINAL Neo CD game? I mean a original Neo CD game is a CD NOT a GD-Rom, so that DC shouldn't be ABLE to read it at all, right?

(BTW the above questions -after the *** ;-) are talking about the Dreamcast's ability itself to read discs, nothing to do with the emulator directly)

Dream Coder

I'ts a moot question because a Dreamcast that couldn't read a CD wouldn't be able to read the emulator disc.

DCEmu Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by dhowerter
    Does Neo4ALL let you play ANY *original* Neo CD games on the Dreamcast?
    No it curently doesn't because of what has been mentionned in previous posts.

Quote Originally Posted by dhowerter
    How about simple (non hacked) backups?
    Same as above.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information