Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: NullDC PSP Videos - Dreamcast Emulator for PSP

What you guys are doing is something that could change the homebrew scene forever! Keep up all progress and show the others you guys can do it!

Hmmm the dreamcast is more powerful than a psp isn't it?
    Last edited by noname1; July 29th, 2008 at 15:55.

DCEmu Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by pbucch View Post
    I believe.

I gotta believe!

(oh wait, wrong console)

Anyway, this could be awesome.
    Last edited by myuusmeow; July 29th, 2008 at 16:53.

there's already for the psp

I believe!!

wow when i read the news i couldnt believe what i was reading cant wait for a release of some kind.

DCEmu Newbie

Dreamcast Specs:
    CPU = 200 MHz
    GPU = 100 MHz
    Main RAM = 16MB
    Video RAM = 8MB

PSP Slim Specs:
    CPU = 333 MHz
    GPU = 166 MHz
    Main RAM = 64MB
    Video RAM = 2MB

I'd like to know that both CPUs are 32-bit with a 128-bit bus. Other than that...good luck.

More evidence of what an amazing bit of tech we have in the PSP.

and what a skilled technician can achieve with it.

on the subject of specs its worth mentioning that MIPS
    and the advanced PSP architecture can improve performance over earlier systems,
    even at comparable cpu/bus speeds.

DCEmu Rookie

I think this is a good idea because i haven't seen any homebrew that can really push the limits of the psp and even though psp can never emulate dreamcast just pushing the emulation to it's limits will help devs to learn more about psp's capabilities and work better with it in future

DCEmu Rookie

You guys can all keep living in your pipedreams.

The first useful DC emulator for PC (NullDC) only just came out in april 2007. It works best on a dual core CPU with a directx9 graphics card. Even then a lot of games don't load or have bugs.

The common phrase is that you need "at least 4x as much processing power" to run an emulator. But in recent years, this number has gone up to even higher, more like 8x or 16x as much processing power... Or more. Due to the increasing complexity of the machines. It's just like auto mechanics not being able to tweak as much on modern cars. Emulation developers will have an increasingly hard time emulating newer consoles.
    Even the lowly Sega Saturn has only come to maturity recently in the emulation scene. I'm talking the last 2 years... Sega Saturn has a 28.6mhz CPU. And you need a modern computer to emulate it. Chew on that. A 333mhz machine emulating a 200mhz machine? Complete joke. Dosbox can't even do any better than about a 486/33

The only way this would ever be possible is if Sega and Sony were in cohorts and Sega gave them all the code and DC details and said "ok, go for it". Just like Sony developing its own PS1 emulator, that's the only way that PS1 emulation on PSP would ever have been fullspeed.
    Unfortunately this exchange would not be profitable or make sense for either company. And would never happen.

Nothing will ever be playable on this emulator, and I will never click on a link about it ever again because I find it a completely ridiculous concept.

There is 0% chance that this DC emulator on PSP will ever be useful for anything at all other than proof of concept, developer masturbation, and bragging rights.
    Last edited by indstr; July 29th, 2008 at 22:18.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information