Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: NullDC PSP Videos - Dreamcast Emulator for PSP

DCEmu Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by SpacemanSpiff View Post
    Not true, Chankast was out in early 2004 and it ran a lot of games full speed with a low-end Pentium 4.
    Yeah, if you consider 5 or 10 "a lot" of games.

Quote Originally Posted by kharaboudjan View Post
    very cool indeed, the psp scene needs SOMETHING new. it has been so completly DEAD for so long now. the last cool release was the picodrive like 8-9 months ago.

the psp scene is really going to die soon
    You're an asshat. PSP has well surpassed everyones expectations of what it can emulate. They said GBA couldn't be done. GPSP being fullspeed was MASSIVE. Picodrive was a well appreciated release as well, as Dgen and PSPGenesis couldn't hack with the likes of SNES9xtyl 0.4.2 me...

But anyway, There is really not anything left to be done as far as emulating new systems on PSP. Just enjoy the wealth of software that is now playable on it, we're talking tens of thousands of games here OK. You paid ~$200.00 for a system that can now run the software of many thousands of dollars worth of consoles and computers.
    My PSP would have been well worth the price 3 years ago, even if it never could have emulated anything beyond NES. Everything after that has just been an excellent bonus.

It would take you many lifetimes to enjoy the retro goodness that is now capable of being played on the PSP. So why are you complaining? Appreciate what you have

Dreamcast on a handheld... Wait 10 years to play it on your PSP3
    Last edited by indstr; July 30th, 2008 at 16:31.

Quote Originally Posted by SpacemanSpiff View Post
    Not true, Chankast was out in early 2004 and it ran a lot of games full speed with a low-end Pentium 4.
    With several games crashing ingame..

We can only hope this reaches 25% speed. That would be an incredible landmark.

A portable DC would be cool, but won't happen on this system. Have a better chance with the dual core GP32X. Good thing I still have my DC, Pre Oct 2000, and it still runs without any issues.

Oh man....it would be sweet to play 2D fighters on, like SF3 for example, now that we don't have a CPS3 emulator out yet for the PSP...other than that I don't think the potential of this emulator could reach beyond my expectations (like Daedalus) , but hey, I've been surprised again and again with some of the emulators that have already been accomplished.

The best of luck to the creator with this project, and here's to hoping it kicks ass!

Quote Originally Posted by noname1 View Post
    Hmmm the dreamcast is more powerful than a psp isn't it?
    Nope.

For instance, the DC has only:

Main RAM: 16 MB[5] 64 Bit 100 MHz
    Video RAM: 8 MB 4x16 Bit 100 MHz
    Sound RAM: 2 MB 16 Bit 66 MHz

and a

SH-4 RISC CPU with 32-bit Instruction Set and 128-bit FPU functions (operating frequency: 200 MHz, 360 MIPS, 1.4 GFLOPS)

while the PSP has:

Main Memory: 32MB

and

CPU: PSP CPU (System clock frequency 1~333MHz)

Sources:

http://playstation.about.com/od/psp/a/PSPSpecs.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dreamcast

Quote Originally Posted by indstr View Post
    The first useful DC emulator for PC (NullDC) only just came out in april 2007. It works best on a dual core CPU with a directx9 graphics card. Even then a lot of games don't load or have bugs.
    That's not true. Chankast IS a great emulator has well.. Not much nowadays but it was a great advance in the time. I still remember playing SOnic Adventure 2 on it, and I didn't needed a Dual Core CPU to do that. And at the time, lots of games worked out for me, if not all.

The common phrase is that you need "at least 4x as much processing power" to run an emulator. But in recent years, this number has gone up to even higher, more like 8x or 16x as much processing power... Or more. Due to the increasing complexity of the machines. It's just like auto mechanics not being able to tweak as much on modern cars. Emulation developers will have an increasingly hard time emulating newer consoles.
    Even the lowly Sega Saturn has only come to maturity recently in the emulation scene. I'm talking the last 2 years... Sega Saturn has a 28.6mhz CPU. And you need a modern computer to emulate it. Chew on that. A 333mhz machine emulating a 200mhz machine? Complete joke. Dosbox can't even do any better than about a 486/33
    True, but you are forgething that in a PC, you have to take in account all the types of hardware that a user can have. I can have a ATI Graphics card, and you can have a NVIDIA, and the emulator MUST RUN on BOTH of them. Not to mention the user that has a SIS Graphical card for instance. Anyways, in the PSP; is diferent, sicne you only have to program the emulator to run on that hardware ONLY. So you get more speed and improvement, since the piece of hardware is always the same and the emulator is only ment to run on that.

Also, the Saturn is not a good comparation. I mean, LOL, even SEGA and the Saturn creators had problems programming for the hardware. The console may not have MUCH power, but it's problem it's not in the hardware itself, but in HOW to program it. Also, a good emulator of Saturn is the long lost GiriGiri Project. I still have it, and it runs quite good and quite a lot good games.

Nothing will ever be playable on this emulator, and I will never click on a link about it ever again because I find it a completely ridiculous concept.
    Fine, it's your problem. If HE achieves a good speed in the emulator, you're the one that will remain in ignorance and not enjoy is hard work. I mean, you're NOT even giving value to it, so why click isn't it??

There is 0% chance that this DC emulator on PSP will ever be useful for anything at all other than proof of concept, developer masturbation, and bragging rights.
    Right... in that case... Go see some hentai fancy boy.

Quote Originally Posted by doom5 View Post
    Your point? The PSP will never emulate the Dreamcast at anything NEAR a playable speed, if it can emulate it at all. Same thing with trying to emulate a Saturn.

The PSP is far too slow. There's no such thing as magic.
    Your title says "Newbie". Hence, you post is not valid around this thread XD

Quote Originally Posted by kharaboudjan View Post
    very cool indeed, the psp scene needs SOMETHING new. it has been so completly DEAD for so long now. the last cool release was the picodrive like 8-9 months ago.

the psp scene is really going to die soon
    PSP scene will only die if you WANT TO AND LET IT.

Yeah, if you consider 5 or 10 "a lot" of games.
    Actually, there where more than that. I can at least remember of 37. I tried them. I have around ~200 games for the dreamcast, so boy, I know what I'm talking about.

You're an asshat.
    No flamming...

PSP has well surpassed everyones expectations of what it can emulate. They said GBA couldn't be done.
    Yes, but has you said IT WAS done. and NOW? People like you say: it can't be done. and guess what??...

I mean... you must have been one of those people that said the GBA emulation on PSP couldn't be possible.

GPSP being fullspeed was MASSIVE. Picodrive was a well appreciated release as well, as Dgen and PSPGenesis couldn't hack with the likes of SNES9xtyl 0.4.2 me...

But anyway, There is really not anything left to be done as far as emulating new systems on PSP. Just enjoy the wealth of software that is now playable on it, we're talking tens of thousands of games here OK. You paid ~$200.00 for a system that can now run the software of many thousands of dollars worth of consoles and computers.
    My PSP would have been well worth the price 3 years ago, even if it never could have emulated anything beyond NES. Everything after that has just been an excellent bonus.

It would take you many lifetimes to enjoy the retro goodness that is now capable of being played on the PSP. So why are you complaining? Appreciate what you have

Dreamcast on a handheld... Wait 10 years to play it on your PSP3
    OK. Fine. You keep your 10 years, and we'll keep TODAY and enjoy and APRECCIATE the work of a great programmer.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread Information