Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: PSP Got Nuthin’ On GP2X (Except Games)

Blog Entries

Default PSP Got Nuthin’ On GP2X (Except Games)

Source - Gizmodo

<blockquote>This handheld runs on Linux, and we all know that means it can do everything but clean the crumbs from under your keyboard. The GP2X player has a dual core ARM processor, 64mb NAND Flash RAM, SD memory card slot, a 3.5” TFT screen. It plays photos, movies, music and games, you could even read an eBook because you are probably smart like that if you own this gadgy. Utilities and emulators? Don’t bore me with your silly questions. Think Quake, Doom, SNES, Megadrive, MAME, and media players galore. You can even connect the GP2X to a TV. For a more than reasonable $190, you’ll get the player, USB Cable, manual and 1-year warranty. Oh, also, it runs on two AA batteries. What does PSP stand for now, huh? Pretty Sucky Peripheral? Poor Sony Poo-poo?</blockquote>

More info at http://www.gbax.com/main.pl and also at http://gp2x-emulation.dcemu.co.uk

In other words, the GP2X unit does everything my Sharp Zaurus 5500 does except it lacks a keyboard and connects to a TV?
    Put the price is very reasonable. I've checked this thing out on their website and the specs are nice and impressive and it's BUILT for homebrew, which is a definite plus.
    But I think only the hardcore are going to get these, and it's lifespan will be much like that of the Zaurus 5000/5500 was.

DCEmu Rookie

how bout multiplayer? can it compete on wifi incrporated mutligaming, and navegation, psp?
    alas... 2aa battery? i know it can be purchased separately, and charged too, but incorporated rechargeable battery is a big point

Dream Coder

Quote Originally Posted by Zephyroth_drgs
    how bout multiplayer? can it compete on wifi incrporated mutligaming, and navegation, psp?
    alas... 2aa battery? i know it can be purchased separately, and charged too, but incorporated rechargeable battery is a big point
    Except for the fact that 3 years from now it will cost you quite a bit to be able to get a new battery (if you can at all). It is the same argument with the SP and the Ipods. Once that battery is dead, you're screwed. AA is a standard format that you'll be able to find for years to come at reasonable prices.
    If anyone is looking to buy, sell, trade games and support a developer directly at the same time, consider joining Goozex. Enjoy!

Well, years from now you'll be able to hack a 5v DC source for the PSP from just about anything. Right now I'm charging mine off the USB port on my laptop.
    I know it kinda defeats the "portable" purpose by making it a little ungainly many years from now, but it would still be working and not cost a lot.

DCEmu Newbie

No Wi-Fi. That's a bit of a shame. But apart from that, I'd love to see a big 'homebrew' scene on this machine. I'd definitely buy one.

Edit: actually, nah, I'd want Wi-Fi.

Dream Coder

Quote Originally Posted by iball
    Well, years from now you'll be able to hack a 5v DC source for the PSP from just about anything. Right now I'm charging mine off the USB port on my laptop.
    I know it kinda defeats the "portable" purpose by making it a little ungainly many years from now, but it would still be working and not cost a lot.
    Um... 5vDC is very uncommon for standard batteries. Everything is in denominations of 1.5v. Also, if the battery dies, you won't be able to recharge it via laptop.
    If anyone is looking to buy, sell, trade games and support a developer directly at the same time, consider joining Goozex. Enjoy!

Yes, without wifi this machine just doesn't cut it. With great homebrew support, AND good wifi capabilities the possibilities are endless. What I'm waiting for on the PSP, this machine could have accomplished.

Infrastructure homebrew multiplayer. Although nothing, even official games, have really used infrastructure multiplayer, the future will provide us with such games. And that is one of the biggest reasons I was interested with the psp.

Well, since it uses SD, it might be possible to use an SD-wifi card, but then you lose mass storage?

Sad that a circa-2002 Zaurus 5500 kicks it's butt right now (CF AND SD slots and keyboard). I used mine all the time to track down unauthorized wireless APs in my workplace and have the users fired.

Aye, but a Zaurus is quite a bit more expensive, even as of now.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information