Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PSP Headset on November 8?

Blog Entries

Default PSP Headset on November 8?

Source - Gizmodo

Funny thing I noticed while testing an early build of SOCOM: US Navy SEALs Fire Team Bravo for the PSP. In the multiplayer mode there is this neat little headset icon in the upper right hand corner. Sony has been threatening a microphone-enabled headset for the PSP since day one. And they introduced the PS2’s headset when SOCOM came out for that platform. Who wants to bet me that Sony is announcing a PSP headset when SOCOM comes out for the PSP on November 8?

I bet it'll come with SOCOM and I bet it'll be near useless for other games, just like in PS2 :P
    but it would be great if it worked with messengers, PSP would be a celphone

Great....now I get to hear "YOU GOT PWND!" every 5 seconds whilst playing SOCOM.

Now for the homebrew crews to get hopping on an infrastructure "phone" program. HA!
    Or Skype could get with Sony and code up a Skype client for the PSP. Would eliminate having to purchase a cordless Skype-compatible phone, but wouldn't be as easy to use.

this makes me want to look into running programs in the background of the psp. similar to a normal OS.
    because we could make a program have an open wifi port all the time, with the ability to contact other psps, even when somebody is in a game. Kinda like a phone... or, doesn't the DS have some sortof chat thing without a mic. like that, with a mic, all the time.

at least, I wish

DCEmu Rookie

my imaination : PSP2 will have everythign know plus sms and phonecababilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaibach333
    this makes me want to look into running programs in the background of the psp. similar to a normal OS.
    because we could make a program have an open wifi port all the time, with the ability to contact other psps, even when somebody is in a game. Kinda like a phone... or, doesn't the DS have some sortof chat thing without a mic. like that, with a mic, all the time.

at least, I wish
    Intriguing idea....I would wait to see what the ps2dev.org PSP coding community comes up with after the headset/mic is released.
    I think Sony was sitting on the headset until a developer actually tackled coding voice into an infrastructure game. In other words, second verse same as the first. SOCOM introduced the headset/mic combo on the PS2 and it's Sony figured the first one was a success and are doing it again.
    Of course I have a bad feeling that the mic code might actually be coded into either 2.0 or 2.5. I'm leaning towards 2.5 though since it introduced that video player feature and they might have rolled the mic code into 2.5 along with it. THat means....UPGRADE to play SOCOM. Remember, the beta did a firmware version check for 2.0, even though it was playable on 1.5 systems.
    Of course, there was no voice or single player coding present in the beta, so that was a free ride there. I think the new SOCOM (and future releases) will be just like GTA and encrypted with 2.0. And since mic access would probably require kernel-mode access, give it up for now until someone finds a 2.0 kernel-mode exploit.
    And I have no idea how well the PSP can handle "multitasking" like you are referring to. Hmmm...probably would depend on how memory management is handled, but I haven't bothered to look into it.

another harsh way of tryin to stop homebrew once again (if it turns out to be the case)

you know, this multitasking thing reminds me of the psp OS itself. I know it may be against dcemu policy to be able to do this, but eventually.

I think somebody will be abble to reference all the hardware enough to make their own firmware update to a different operating system. containing the ability to run anything, even psp games.

most who are knowlegable of the task I'm suggesting would probably argue that one would require the source code from sony which would be illegal. but its not impossible to accomplish

Quote Originally Posted by vincesecuricor2005
    another harsh way of tryin to stop homebrew once again (if it turns out to be the case)
    You have to look at it this way: the firmware coders see it as an "insult" to their coding abilities when exploits are found in their code. They also tend to be perfectionists and anything less-than-perfect irritates them. Also, if YOU were a Sony PSP firmware developer, would YOU want to be known for an easily-exploited firmware? Not if you were looking at both keeping your current job and eventually getting a new job.
    It's also a Japanese-culture thing and thinking of working at Sony as working with your family. And you don't hang your family out to dry with sloppy firmware code.

never thought of it like that makes sense i suppose, u seem very knowlegeble on just about everything iball how comes ure quite new to these forums?, how the hell do you know all of this??? (ive read youre other posts on diff threads 2)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information