Thread: Sony Plans 10-Year Shelf Life For Current Generation PSP

Blog Entries

psp Sony Plans 10-Year Shelf Life For Current Generation PSP

We were semi-surprised that the PSP hardware update contained so few external changes, but now that we've seen Sony's plan for the system, it all makes sense. Their ten year shelf-life plan for the PS2 and PS3 apparently also applies to the PSP platform, which according to them, "[does] not have a planned obsolescence strategy." Good news for current PSP owners since they won't have to upgrade their units for another three to four years at least.

http://gizmodo.com/5037007/sony-plan...generation-psp

I don't think it will reach 10 years. There will be a new generation by 2012, so I don't think the successor will be already in the market.

i dont care how often they release consoles. if it worth updating then i buy look at the slim, i didnt get it cause it aint worth it

The new psp's are meant to bring new people in not to make you upgrade by buying a new one

Quote Originally Posted by jrsmaster411 View Post
    The new psp's are meant to bring new people in not to make you upgrade by buying a new one
    with all these updates all there doing is trying to prevent piracy

PSP2 will not see the light of day until them have totally resolved the problem

DCEmu Legend

Excellent. This shows confidence in the PSP by SONY which means the PSP is obviously doing just fine. And in turn hopefully more developers will develop more great games. And with more and more people getting PSP's, hopefully that will keep the homebrew scene alive and perhaps inspire new homebrew developers to work on projects. With more and more downloadable content for the PSP on the PSN, there needs to be more affordable and higher capacity PRO Duo memory sticks. I will buy and affordable and reliable 16GB stick in a heartbeat.

How amny times now have they planned this? =\

DCEmu Rookie

The way i see it the psp is only selling so well because it is so easy to hack and some people might say that they might sell more games if it is unhackable but so few people would want to buy a psp that software sales would be just as bad as they are now and all it would mean is sony is making less money on hardware sales so all i see is that sony will make a small change to keep the game developers happy but still make sure the average person can change to custom firmware

Thread Information