Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: The New Dawn Of Homebrew Coming Soon ?

Quote Originally Posted by noname1 View Post
    if this thing can run windows xp and World Of warcraft i would be very interested altough the screen is a bit small.
    Just do a search on youtube, it runs better on Asus 90x EEE models, thanks to Intel Atom CPU

Quote Originally Posted by Dull Blade View Post
    I would call it poorly constructed either. i know for fact all you've saw of this console is a few mock ups and a couple poorly lit pictures, none of us have gotten a hold of this yet.
    yea but it looks like if you accidentally left it in the car on a hot day you would come back to the plastic warping off of the lcd

On their official site they say it handles quake 3 with ease
    so did my k6/2 300 with a voodoo II

I dont think you understand that it intentionally doesnt have a commercial library...
    i do, i also understand its linux based, therefore a sub micro laptop

As for the comments about getting a micro pc that 'better' for a higher price; this console is designed specifically for homebrew and emulation.
    this thing isnt going to have the hardware sprites or sound generators for every system ever made, its a cpu, a video chipset and some sound card -> pc, theres nothing really special or propitiatory about this, its a x based pc with a light os

There is alot more to a cpu than clock speed. Ask you self this could a 133mhz pc with 16mb or ram could emulate a ps1 better than a ps2 at a higher resolution and better fps? you'd think not, but the DC could do it with bleem. Apply the same logic to this situation... you cant really compare the specs to that of a pc.
    and you cant really compare an optimized wish list "dream team" peice of software vs a from the factory "it will do" execution
    Last edited by osgeld; August 17th, 2008 at 19:22.

DCEmu Newbie

Maybe this'll start a small war between this company and the GP2X, meaning we'll get a faster, nicer GP2X at a lower price with better battery life.

This looks like a really powerful thing, but I like the form factor of the GP2X better. However, I've never actually used either, so this is all based on looking.

DCEmu Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by chipan View Post

I've only seen a bunch of crappy emulators without sound runing in an OMAP developement kit. Nothing surprisingly enough to make me buy a 330$ gadget.

this is the pandora hardware just with out a case the pandora port is not optimized
    Quote Originally Posted by uberjack View Post

It's fairly easy to make a small form-factor laptop with older technology (which is what this unit seems to be),t, dissipate heat efficiently, have a useful and extensible programming devkit, be of some value by itself (and not just as a result of its extensibility -- meaning that it should include some decent tools and applications), and, as shallow as it makes me sound, be attractive. I'm not sure if this system meets any of these requirements, not to mention possessing good looks
    what are taking about old technology this no old technology the pandora will be 1 of the fyst that have ARM Cortex-A8 which is the fastest ARM core that is in manufacture rite now
    dissipate heat efficiently
    ARM Core's never have problem with that as that they are design to produce very lite heat

Are you saying a SOC is more powerful than a higher clock speed and features CPU with dedicated sound and graphical hardware?
    some yes you cant compare the clock rate to compare the performance of different microprocessors http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megahertz_myth
    to hive some hint how powerful it is it is comparable to Pentium III and also Intel Atom
    and on the gpu powervr SGX530 is 1 of the best gpu that you can get for portable

DCEmu Newbie

How much graphics ram does the pandora support? is it shared with the main memory ram?

Will Pandora be able to run like Microsoft's Windows 98 OS?

GP2X Coder/Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by noname1 View Post
    if this thing can run windows xp and World Of warcraft i would be very interested altough the screen is a bit small.
    It won't. It is ARM based not X86. XP won't run on this machine (at least not at a usable speed).

Quote Originally Posted by MillenioX View Post
    How much graphics ram does the pandora support? is it shared with the main memory ram?

Will Pandora be able to run like Microsoft's Windows 98 OS?
    Shared and possibly yes but not at a usable speed. Remember this machine is ARM based, not X86.

Quote Originally Posted by TVarmy View Post
    Maybe this'll start a small war between this company and the GP2X, meaning we'll get a faster, nicer GP2X at a lower price with better battery life.
    Considering that some of the makers of the Pandora are selling and distributing the Wiz (GPH's new machine), that would be rather interesting.
    Last edited by yaustar; September 1st, 2008 at 17:49.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information