Thread: RARE "SKEPTICAL" OF REV CONTROLLER

Blog Entries

Default RARE "SKEPTICAL" OF REV CONTROLLER

Rare's Duncan Botwood, lead multi-player designer on Perfect Dark Zero has aired his thoughts on Nintendo's Revolution controller, expressing skepticism at the device - albeit in a nice way with some small praise thrown in for good measure.
    Speaking to 1up.com, Botwood explained that it would be entirely feasible to get a game like Perfect Dark Zero running in conjunction with the Revolution controller, but it was unclear whether full functionality could be retained in light of it's unusual configuration.

Despite admitting that he's not managed to have a go on one yet, Botwood did express interest in the possibilities offered up by the controller, suggesting that it "looks like it might lend itself towards a light gun style of shooting, which would be a fresh approach."

Echoing fears of rabid forum users worldwide, despite assurances from Nintendo, various members of the press who've actually had a go and probably their mums too, Botwood commented that the controller "doesn't look that comfortable to me at first glance. Most people don't use TV remote controls constantly for a whole hour, let alone wave them in the air all that time. I'm skeptical, but that's tempered by my respect for Nintendo and my past experience of working with their controllers."
    So there we go - but can we expect some crazy backward-jumping coup from Rare straight into the open, lusty arms of Nintendo? No, of course not, but it's always nice to see some of the bigger developers in the industry
    giving their thoughts on a controller which has the capacity to change the way we play and think about games in the future.

DCEmu Rookie

Since Rare's owned by Microsoft, the headline should really read:

"Paid Microsoft $#@! Takes It in Butt from Gates While Dissing Rev Controller"

This guy's a paid toady. Who cares what he thinks? He's paid to say this crap. Besides, Perfect Dark Zero has "dud" written all over it. The XBox version of Conker tanked, and Grabbed by the Ghoulies was a total joke. His track record is pure crap. Whatever he says, Nintendo should do the opposite and they'll be fine. This guy's opinion is less than worthless.

DCEmu Pro

Maybe you should get informed before you speak. Rare, what about Golden eye? Banjo kazooie? The original perfect dark? Everyone is allowed to make a few bad games. I'd like to see you do better.

DCEmu Rookie

Damn those are some ancient games you mention. As you may have noticed, I criticized Rare's games since they bent over for Microsoft, which is the whole point.

Rare was a respected developer before they decided to grab their ankles for Bill Gates. Since then, their track record is embarrassing. Rare is no longer the respected developer they once were.

But of course, the main point here is that this guy sold his soul out--and surrendered all his orifices--to Microsoft and he's basically criticizing a console from a competing company when his own company is releasing a new console in just a matter of days.

Do you honestly think he's an objective source?

So let's sum this up shall we? He's not objective, he hasn't tried the controller himself, he's no longer a respected developer, and he's willingly reduced himself to being nothing but a paid Microsoft $#@!. When you put all this together, all of which are indisputable facts, this man's opinion on the Revolution is worth less than nothing.

I think that's all that needs to be said.

Thread Information