Thread: US Court Gives 15 Months' Jail, $415,900 Fine For Game Piracy

Blog Entries

General games US Court Gives 15 Months' Jail, $415,900 Fine For Game Piracy

A Florida man has been sentenced to 15 months in prison and ordered to pay US$415,900 in restitution for selling video game systems that were preloaded with more than 75 pirated copies of games."
    If that fine sounds a bit steep, note that his profits on the devices "exceeded $390,000

http://games.slashdot.org/article.pl.../08/25/0324208

DCEmu Legend

Really? That harsh of a penalty for selling this? These are junk. I see them sold in malls around holidays. Malls in the U.S. I bought one really cheap and ended up throwing it away.

Its just a bunch of the same games renamed over and over. There was Duck Hunt, Mario Bros., and games like that. Nothing more technical than NES games.

I wish I knew the entire story regarding this.

Quote Originally Posted by Veskgar View Post

Really? That harsh of a penalty for selling this? These are junk. I see them sold in malls around holidays. Malls in the U.S. I bought one really cheap and ended up throwing it away.

Its just a bunch of the same games renamed over and over. There was Duck Hunt, Mario Bros., and games like that. Nothing more technical than NES games.

I wish I knew the entire story regarding this.
    Yea, I've seen those pieces of crap in my mall too. So what if he sold a few NES games. If Nintendo didn't want that to happen, they probably should've made more NES games available on the Virtual Console, and made the price for a NES game reasonable.

Thread Information