Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sony: Home's Coming In 2008, Promise

Blog Entries

ps3 Sony: Home's Coming In 2008, Promise

Home's been with us as a concept for quite some time now. Since early 2007, actually. And here we are, in August 2008, and it's still not out. Will it ever come out? Yes. Will it be out this year? If you'd have asked us that last week, we'd honestly have said "eh, probably not", but now, the prognosis is a little more up-beat. Martijn Van der Meulen, a member of Home's development team, has told IGN "it is a 100 percent guarantee that Home will be released by the end of this calendar year". 100%? Dude seems pretty certain. There's no wiggle room in 100%.

http://kotaku.com/5041182/sony-homes...n-2008-promise

DCEmu Legend

Yeah right. Sony cannot even get the ****ing beta done properly. 1 post wonders at the Official Boards get in the beta sooner than people who have been part of the underground since 2004...

Sure this will really launch any time soon...

October is when the beta is suppose to be open to the public.

Quote Originally Posted by F9zDark View Post
    Yeah right. Sony cannot even get the ****ing beta done properly. 1 post wonders at the Official Boards get in the beta sooner than people who have been part of the underground since 2004...

Sure this will really launch any time soon...
    The Beta needs a wide range of different people to test its limits.
    Uncommon users do uncommon things.

Spoiler!

DCEmu Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Accordion View Post
    The Beta needs a wide range of different people to test its limits.
    Uncommon users do uncommon things.

Spoiler!
    You're right, but considering that the vast majority of beta testers to date have been newbs to Sony's site (they sent out GAP invites the same day they sent out beta invites to people who hadn't been part of the underground for more than a week and who had 0 posts on the forums).

I have brought up this point many times on the official boards and those lucky few who were actually veterans of Sony's underground and GAP agreed with me: those that haven't shown their loyalty AREN'T loyal whatsoever and partake in the beta for a few days and drop it entirely.

You'd think Sony would have learned something when they'd see the Home beta servers dead for months on end and then when an update came out it'd be teeming for a day or two and then once again, dead.

Yeah, Sony needs many people from varying walks of life; but even members of the Beta from day one thought it was appalling that 90% of the new beta testers never once spent a moment on the official forums, nor were part of the Underground when Home was first announced...

The beta invites are the same as the GAP invite, ie. completely random. I was lucky to get into GAP after 2 years of being in the Underground.

DCEmu Legend

Quote Originally Posted by $n!pR View Post
    The beta invites are the same as the GAP invite, ie. completely random. I was lucky to get into GAP after 2 years of being in the Underground.
    Then how is GAP important? How does that make GAP members any more important than other members? Gamer Advisory Panel shouldn't only consist of those who are CONFIRMED gamers by Sony; not some schmuck who just joined the underground. By this I mean the following requisites should be met:

-Registered owner of more than 1 Sony console
    -Registered member of the Underground for more than 1 year
    -Registered member of the forums with 100+ posts

I have beta tested a few MMOs in my day, and precedence has always been given to those that have SHOWN AN INTEREST (ie been part of the community long before the game was going live).

Said loyalty bought me a ticket to a private "rehearsal" for Uru Live (when it existed) as well as an invitation to the Closed Beta and Open beta.

My point is that, advisers aren't any good if they have no grasp for the material they are asked to advise on...

DCEmu Old Pro

My point is that, advisers aren't any good if they have no grasp for the material they are asked to advise on...
    This is exactly who Sony is looking for though, they want people who are inexperienced and new to the whole MMO system.

DCEmu Legend

Quote Originally Posted by jamotto View Post
    This is exactly who Sony is looking for though, they want people who are inexperienced and new to the whole MMO system.
    The thing is, my point wasn't entirely related to MMOs; in fact I only used MMOs because that's the extent of my Beta experience.

The point I was trying to make, and considering the obvious failure of Home's last year of beta testing, is that Sony didn't choose people who ARE qualified for the job; in fact it seems that Sony purposely tried getting people who are totally UNQUALIFIED for it.

Given that, probably, the vast majority of PS3 owners ARE PS2 owners there is no chance that "random" selection would have managed to choose all the people that JUST got onto the Sony Playstation bandwagon (which indicates that they probably didn't have a PS2, since Underground membership came standard with the PS2 network setup disc).

DCEmu Old Pro

The point I was trying to make, and considering the obvious failure of Home's last year of beta testing, is that Sony didn't choose people who ARE qualified for the job; in fact it seems that Sony purposely tried getting people who are totally UNQUALIFIED for it.

Given that, probably, the vast majority of PS3 owners ARE PS2 owners there is no chance that "random" selection would have managed to choose all the people that JUST got onto the Sony Playstation bandwagon (which indicates that they probably didn't have a PS2, since Underground membership came standard with the PS2 network setup disc).
    Exactly! Sony does not want those people who have been with the Playstation brand since the beginning. Home is not for keeping people who are currently loyal to the Playstation brand to stay that way. Home is for people who have either not had a Playstation at all or are very new to the Playstation brand and thus on the wall about the brand name.

Ok, another way of thinking of what Home is. Exclusive games used to be used to bring new people from other consoles to the Playstation. The age of exclusive games in nearly over, Sony NEEDS to find something to take their place, Home is the new age exclusive. Having people who have been gaming on the playstation all their life as beta testers will not answer their question of what is needed to bring new people over to the Playstation brand.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information