Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Piracy Damaging the PSP and the Homebrew Scene ?

Blog Entries

Default Is Piracy Damaging the PSP and the Homebrew Scene ?

The question above, "Is Piracy Damaging the PSP and the Homebrew Scene?"

Lets cast our minds back before the first "UMD Loader" was released, we were enjoying masses of great releases on a daily basis, the japanese coders were ruling the roost and the homebrew scene was thriving then the first UMD Loaders came along and then sites that had posted homebrew were now posting these releases and some were even posting the downloads but to be fair all those sites gave the real homebrew scene a kick in the teeth.

I remember one newsposter saying in a newspost that Pro Evo was released and it worked on some loader, needless to say this was a newsposter on a rather big site who was saying its ok to warez.

Now Sony have forced PSP Wikis Loader offline (not the whole site that certain sites have reported wrongly), does this mean they will come after homebrew sites or just target those who blatently report on loaders and have the downloads and discussion in their forums.

Well i hope its the latter and then maybe the Real Homebrew scene can carry on and say good ridance to the piracy of new PSP titles.

In the quest for visitors some site ops take the easy road to get visitors whether they actually post the files or not but its better to stay legal than risk Jail and fines just to get a few visitors.

Yes, Piracy has destroyed the PSP scene and also the DS's one.

Piracy has been in all systems ever made.
    Nothing new

It will not stop anyone from buying a PSP.
    If anything it could get more people involved in buying.

Quote Originally Posted by ataribob
    Piracy has been in all systems ever made.
    Nothing new.
    Yeah. The thing is it's just getting far more attention these days.

DCEmu Coder

ok, i ask again: do we have any evidence that the wiki upload server was forced to close by sony?

back on topic: iso loaders are the main reason people don't update (downgrade) their firmware. so actually it's good for the homwbrew scene. like it or not, that's a fact.

But with the PSP alot of users found out how much easyer to do it is.

It required a memory stick they would have baught for movie and music any way.

didnt require you to open your console, soder anything, burn cd's/dvd's

it just required a program and a memory stick.
    PSP Q3BSP Projekt: Here
    Iris Wiki Database: here
    Iris Game Info: Here
    Iris Addons: Here
    PSP File Shack: Here

PSP Coder

Can we please stop spreading this false "news" that Sony shut down the PSPWiki?

It was 100% a false "Report" by the cancer news site, containing a quote I'd love to see a Japanese person say. I've never encountered anyone ranting and calling anyone "bitches" in over 3 years here.

Sony had nothing to do with the PSPWiki "shutdown"

The real story is explained here:
    http://bbs.pspwiki.to/bbs/test/read....1132296882/l50
    (which I'm sure the talented JC would have found had he actually -- gasp -- researched)

Someone using a Japanese ISP was uploading items that were not allowed (MP4 files, what they contained I don't know). He had been warned before and an explanation had been posted. He kept doing so, so the Wiki people decided to temporarily shutdown that uploader. They are uncertain when it will return, but it is only suspended currently.

Those "b******* at Sony" or whatever as P$PUpdate$ quoted were not even remotely close to this situation.

It should be noted the other Wiki uploaders are all still there, functioning properly.

wraggster, I respect you and this site, but you also are spreading the false news without verification on this stupid matter.

I hope this exposes even further how desperate P$PUpdate$ are to get attention from a dwindling "Scene"; they've taken to completely making up news and quotes that have served to confuse several Japanese sites as well.

$#@!s are a cancer, and research is good.

- Smiths
    R-E-S-P-E-C-T : the proper places and people deserve it

Is Piracy Damaging the PSP and the Homebrew Scene?
    That would be an undisputable YES!.

If some jackasses hadn't decided to create an ISO Launcher or even a Ripper, Sony probably wouldn't have given a rats ass about the Homebrew scene and we would all be able to run GTA:LCS as well as Super Mario World without doing some crazy wallpaper stuff!

In the recent present, many advances have been made allowing Homebrew programs to run on 2.00 through this crazy wallpaper. My only hope is that the afformentioned jackasses don't create a ISO Launcher for FW 2.00, that way Sony may allow us to carry on with our Homebrew in peace, by allowing all future Firmwares to be compatible with 2.00, just as 2.5 is now!

The only problem I can see with 2.00 Homebrew, is that apparently WiFi won't be possible. Despite that, with 2.00 you can play the latest games, you can run Homebrew (compatibility is constantly improving) and best of all...No Plague Of Piracy!!!!

Cheers,
    Fox

DCEmu Regular

Quote Originally Posted by MGFox
    That would be an undisputable YES!.
    If some jackasses hadn't decided to create an ISO Launcher or even a Ripper, Sony probably wouldn't have given a rats ass about the Homebrew scene
    well... it wouldn t have change a thing...emulator are piracy too in a way...and beleave me if sony didn t do anything against it. they would have got news form nintendo lawyer pretty quickly...

if you buy a nintendo games(for exemple..)...you have to play it on the nintendo console the game is design for.Otherwise it s illegal...game company like you to buy there game on every platform...even old game (streetfighter2,namco museum,etc...)it s money for them...

I think if the psp scene slowdown it s because most of the easy thing as been done...the next emu need a good knowledge in memory managing and 3d optimisation good knowledge of the psp hardware... just give it time...

10shu,

I don't want to start an argument, but I am afraid I must disagree on a few points:-

1) Homebrew != Emulation

Personally, I most frequently run Doom or Quake on my PSP, they are open-source and id Software generally support the spread of their games to other systems. But on top of source ports, a lot of Homebrew software is original, the content not infringing on any IPs or Copyrights.

2) Nowadays Classic Emulation is Tollerated

The XBox, Dreamcast, GP32, GP2X, GBA, DS and even Mobile Phones...to name a few, are all consoles (or devices) that can run Emulators. And they don't seem to have Nintendo Lawyers knocking at their door, heck, some of them are Nintendo consoles. Any of the consoles could have been updated, just as the PSP was, by either Flashing BIOS' or just increasing security on later console releases...but weren't, because Piracy of their own games wasn't a general risk, it did exist, but wasn't as easy to access as it is on the PSP.

I don't want this to turn into a "is emulation illegal?" debate...because as the law stands, you're right, it is...but the point is "how much do companies care?". If emulation was a huge legal problem, how did the GP32 last? and how did the GP2X come to be?

Cheers,
    Fox

P.S. It's late and I'm tired so if this seems rude or spiteful, that was not my intention and I apologise!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information