Thread: Review: Datel Wii Max Vii Guitar Controller

Reviews Webmaster/Reviewer bandit's Avatar

Rev Review: Datel Wii Max Vii Guitar Controller

Datel Wii Max Vii Guitar Controller
    Manufacturer: Datel
    Site:
    Price: £29.95 / 49.90€

Overview : Guitar games are currently the hottest property on the current generation of consoles, and Nintendo’s Wii is no exception. Trouble is, some of the guitar controllers out there just don’t look the part. Thankfully, with a Wii Max Vii Guitar around your neck, you look every inch the budding rock star, but do you have what it takes to beat the best in Guitar Hero III?

Boasting an exciting ‘flying V’ design, Wii Max Vii Guitar is a wireless controller, so there are no cables to tangle up as you play. It’s powered by the Wiimote that snaps into the body of the guitar, so you need no batteries either. It has five contoured fret buttons, a responsive strum bar and a working whammy bar. The neck of the guitar is detachable from its body, so it’s easy to transport, and the supplied strap fits either side of the fret board, so you can play left-handed as well as right-handed. It’s the perfect control solution for your Wii guitar games.

Features :
    • Exciting design.
    • Strap included.
    • Wireless controller.
    • Responsive strum bar.
    • Functional whammy bar.
    • No batteries required – powered by Wiimote.

Quality/Usability : The Datel Wii Vii Guitar Controllers gives Guitar Hero controllers a whole new look. The Wii Vii gives a 'V' shaped look. The Vii has a glossy look to it and not a dull black casing like the original Les Paul controller.

The strum bar, SELECT and START buttons, strap holder and whammy bar all have a chrome look to it. I like that the SELECT and START button is upside down when you look at it head on. But if you're holding the guitar as if you were playing and you look down, you'll be able to read the SELECT and START perfectly. The SELECT and START button is located slightly higher. I usually use my palm to activate the Star Power and if the button is higher, this throws me off.

Unlike the Les Paul controller that was included with Guitar Hero, there is no small compartment for the wrist strap. You have to shove it in the back. There is also no UNLOCK/LOCK mechanism. The locking and unlocking mechanism is actually at the bottom of the neck. When pushed in to the guitar, the PRESS button pushes down and it pops out and locks the neck in place. If you want to remove the neck, you simply press the button and pull the neck out. The buttons on the neck are full colored (Green, Red, Yellow, Blue and Orange).

One thing I dont like about the design is the 'V' shape. I like to rest my palm on the guitar. Since its a 'V' shape, my wrist hangs off the end of the guitar and makes playing uncomfortable. Yea, I can move my hand closer to the edge closest to the neck but would feel awkward. Those who have big hands and rest their palm on the guitar will definitely find their palm hanging off the guitar.

The controls worked great. Didnt notice a lag. The colored buttons didnt have the clicky feel to it. It felt more mushy when pressing the buttons. But the buttons registered when playing a game. The strum bar had a nice clicking feel to it.

Conclusion : Overall, the Datel Wii Max Vii Guitar Controller worked as it should but I felt that the design has its flaws. I like to rest my palm on the guitar and since this is 'V' shaped, my palm hangs over the edge. Those with big hands and likes to rest their hands on the guitar will experience the same thing I did. You wont be able to change the faceplate considering there is nothing to change.

Images via comments.
    Last edited by bandit; January 4th, 2011 at 00:54.
    Follow us (1KIND Photography): Website | YouTube | Facebook | Twitter
    Follow Us (DCEmu Reviews): YouTube | Facebook | Twitter

Thread Information