Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feature: Hidden costs of gaming

Blog Entries

General games Feature: Hidden costs of gaming

It's a well-known fact that the big three console manufacturers - Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft - all want your money. Once you fork out a few hundred notes for a console, they have you in their mighty grip, and bleed you dry with their capitalist agendas. In some cases, this can be as much as £300 over the next five years, not including essentials they don't include with the console. It's similar to hidden bank charges, except Watchdog's Nicky Campbell won't be fighting your corner - he'll be kicking your a*se at Halo instead.

Before we begin tearing apart consoles for their economic crimes, the SKUs (Stock-keeping Unit) tested are the standard ones - the basic Wii bundle (with Wii Sports), the 60GB Premium Xbox 360 package, and the latest 80GB PlayStation 3 with DualShock. Prices are the RRP, but you can knock off a few quid here and there if you shop around.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Electricity Costs
    Like any appliance, consoles will use up different amounts of power, and the difference between them is staggering. The Wii, the simpleton of the bunch, will use up to ten times less power than its high-definition competitors, with the PS3 requiring the most electricity. They weren't messing around when they said this is the most powerful generation yet. Nuclear power station peripherals are yet to be confirmed.

Wii - 12.41 kWh - £1.98 a year
    Xbox 360 - 120.45 kWh - £19.21 a year
    PS3 - 204.40 kWh - £32.60 a year

The Wii is hands down the cheapest, but the PS3 will make those energy price rises your worst nightmare. Figures are based on playing a game from a disc (standby and movie playback differ) for two hours per day for a year. (Figures obtained from sust-it.net.)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Controllers
    You'll be screwed without them, and charitably each console comes boxed with one. If you want to play with your mates then your wallet will have to take a gut punch, and in the case of recharging them, selling its kidney on the wallet black market.

PS3 - Technically there are no added extras, however early adopters missed out on the now-standard rumbling DualShock 3. This will set you back £40.
    Wii - Comes with a Wii remote and Nunchuk, however an additional remote costs £30, and Nunchuk £15. That's £45 for one additional control set.
    Xbox 360 - There is no rechargeable option out of the box - a Play & Charge kit retails for £15, and additional wireless controllers are £30 a pop. That's £60 for two charge kits and an extra wireless pad. However you can save by getting a Wired controller for £25.

The PS3 is hands down the cheapest, however the others differ according to what you buy. Getting the full set for both - Nunchuks (Wii) and wireless with recharge packs (Xbox) - makes the 360 £15 more expensive. On the other hand you don’t need a Nunchuk for most Wii games, and you can just use cheap rechargeable batteries or wired controllers for your 360.

Television Cables
    Confusion sets in at this point, where many gamers are left stranded behind their television, adopting the foetal position and shaking in bewilderment. All consoles come with connection cables, but the quality varies immensely, even between standard definition (SD) and high definition (HD). From plain awful to crystal clear the cables rank composite (SD), RGB (SD), component (SD / HD), and HDMI (HD). Considering there are more HD sets than before, cables are as vital as anything else on this list.

Xbox 360 - Comes with component for HD out of the box, also doubling up as composite cables for those with normal tellies. While there are better SD and HD options, these options will do you just fine.
    Wii - Comes with a composite cable. While it looks bad, on a standard definition set it is passable, but you should get either an RGB or component cable. You need component for the best resolution on HDTV sets. They each cost £20.
    PS3 - Just a composite cable; no HD option in the box. Your gorgeous new HD console will look like it's being played back through an '80s VCR. You need a component or HDMI cable, stat. That's £20, thank you very much.

While all three consoles could have better cables, the 360 offers you a near-perfect solution out of the box that gives you decent HD and SD connections. The Wii could do with an upgrade, while the PS3 needs one. What's cheaper, a HDMI cable or cataract surgery? You be the judge.

Connecting to the internet
    If there is one big leap this generation, it's that each console feeds on byte-sized information from the World Wide Web. If you want to get the most from your new pride and joy, you need to connect to the internet.

PS3 - Comes with both Wi-Fi receiver and LAN port for both wireless and wired connections. Perfect.
    Wii - Wi-Fi receiver only. If you want to connect via LAN port, you can buy one for £20.
    Xbox 360 - Ethernet port only. If you want to get a plug in Wi-Fi receiver, it'll set you back £60.

While they all have a base covered, the PS3 hits a home run by being as flexible as an Olympian gymnast. Considering many households own a wireless router, paying £60 to have the privilege to do so takes the metaphorical biscuit. Bridge your internet connection to your 360 and spend that £60 on a pick-and-mix.

Other Additions
    These are the little added extras that most people would purchase in their console's lifetime. Not surprisingly, Microsoft pushes these little additions.

Xbox Live subscription - While the Wii and PS3 online services are free, full Gold membership costs £40 a year on the 360. Without it, you cannot play online with others or access certain content.
    Keyboard - The Wii and PS3 have full USB keyboard support for text input, whereas the 360 keypad costs £25. Alternatively, you can spend an entire hour entering a message via the d-pad.
    Downloadable Content - This is subjective, as many games offer additional content that perhaps should be in the full product, but are not on the disc. But when games such as Beautiful Katamari (360) ask you to pay to unlock things already on the disc, it reinforces the point that you have to be a millionaire playboy to get the most out of everything.

Quantitative Total
    So when it boils down to it, which console is the most expensive? Brushing aside the base package, games and optional extras, the initial investment is about the same for all three systems. However the on-going running costs of electricity and subscriptions might find your Xbox 360 finding a new home on eBay. If you plan to keep it for the next five years, it could cost as much as £295, compared to Wii's paltry upkeep of £10. The PlayStation 3 isn't economically friendly either, coming in at £163. Eep.

Initial investment -
    Wii - £65 (television cable upgrade, extra Wii remote and Nunchuk)
    Xbox 360 - £60 (extra wireless controller, two Play & Charge kits)
    PS3 - £60 (television cable upgrade, additional DualShock 3 controller)

On-going investment (per year) -

Wii - £1.98 (electricity)
    PS3 - £32.60 (electricity)
    Xbox 360 - £59.21 (electricity, Live subscription)

Summary
    It should be noted that these are all optional costs - you don't need to buy another controller, to purchase a Live subscription or run your console every day for the next few years. But many people do, and if you are thinking of getting a new system for yourself or someone else these little costs add up to something fierce. The Xbox 360 is the worst for those hidden costs, although the others aren't exactly innocent either. When you consider this doesn't include what you actually bought it for - the games - it shows that this hobby is a costly thing indeed.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/a...of-gaming.html

It should be said the 360 supports usb keyboards as well, just because MS do an official product doesn't make it the only option.

Electricity Costs
    Like any appliance, consoles will use up different amounts of power, and the difference between them is staggering. The Wii, the simpleton of the bunch, will use up to ten times less power than its high-definition competitors, with the PS3 requiring the most electricity. They weren't messing around when they said this is the most powerful generation yet. Nuclear power station peripherals are yet to be confirmed.

Wii - 12.41 kWh - £1.98 a year
    Xbox 360 - 120.45 kWh - £19.21 a year
    PS3 - 204.40 kWh - £32.60 a year
    bull, noone plays their ps3 making it the cheapest to own as far as the power grid is concerned

DCEmu Old Pro

Quote Originally Posted by osgeld View Post
    bull, noone plays their ps3 making it the cheapest to own as far as the power grid is concerned
    Nah your wrong it is the Wii, but the figure is wrong it should read

Wii - 0.0 kWh - £0.00 a year

good to see unbiased facts to bad you guys are trying to thrash other consoles with this info >.>

The 360 is one expensive system but is completely worth it when it comes to LIVE.

What did surprise me was the PS3 being a lil power vamp, I expected it to be 360 with that huge block of a power supply it has lol

DCEmu Old Pro

Quote Originally Posted by jrsmaster411 View Post
    good to see unbiased facts to bad you guys are trying to thrash other consoles with this info >.>
    Well the power figures are slightly dubious as power consumption varies by game.

Also in my opinion the Wii doesn't really get a whole lot out of upgraded cables. The difference between composite and component cables is rather small.

Quote Originally Posted by jrsmaster411 View Post
    glad to see the sources of calculation they used

its tripe

i dont own a hd-tv so now the wii and ps3 are cheaper in the tv dep vs a 360 for me

i dont need wifi, so the 360 wins for me, since the ps3 has both and the wii has only wifi

my mates are more instested in going out than playing the same game they have at home so nix the controler cost

keyboards? its just usb go spend 4$ at walmart if you dont own a couple of them anyway

sorry i dont fit their 19 year old with a fresh credit card stereotype but im a 29 year old with a kid and a mortgage, hd to me is a dream

i dont spend 1000 hours a week playing games

my mates can kiss my ass if they want to come over without their own controler and play games with me

and with gas cost's being higher than internet cost's why would they?

and im sorry, it cost like 25 bucks to buy a 100 foot cat 5 cable, and they are litterly giving away wired hubs on internet sites, stuff it under your floor trim like we did back in the day, its faster too

X360 is the most expensive only because of LIVE, but I think is worth it, well maybe, I don't really know yet

Also, I hate wifi connections they're slow, the ethernet cable I got with the 360 will do just fine, BTW it's not repaired yet, I'm gonna call the guy tomorrow to see what happened, wish me luck
    Last edited by mike_jmg; September 15th, 2008 at 06:11.

DCEmu Newbie

Default Key Board 360

The 360 can use any USB keyboard, just like the PS3, so dont really need the Keypad thingy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information