Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Australian Guide to PSP GPS 290

DCEmu Newbie

Default Australian Guide to PSP GPS 290

So after a few months of researching, buying and installing I have my 4.01M33-2 PSP working with MapThis! and a GPS-290.
    Here's how:

I used eBay to buy:
    GPS unit: depot4u <-I bought from these guys
    or tomtop_game
    You can buy from anyone just make sure you dont spend more than ~$90 inc shipping and buy from Hong Kong as its much quicker to arrive.
    The one I received was official Sony Japan (All instructions were in Japanese, doesnt matter though)
    Windshield mount: goodrated. I bought the non flexible arm one. It fits the PSP and GPS unit well. For the price it is, it does the job. In hindsight I would have probably got the one with the flexi arm for convenience, but unsure whether the GPS device would fit in ok.
    In car charger: baobao7879. Arrived quick and works.

Obviously you dont need to buy what I did, Im just letting you know that what I did works.

I downloaded MapThis! 0.5.20 from QJ.net (link) but you can download it from anywhere but the QJ servers are quick and reliable.

I also downloaded the latest Global Map Download tool, gmdl0.5.08b (link).
    This has GPSFS bundled in it. A great application.

So you unzip MapThis then go to this folder... \MapThis0520\FW3.XX\ there should be a folder in there called "mapViewer". Copy that folder into your \PSP\GAME4XX\ folder (this is assuming your kernel is set to 4XX).

Now you have to configure MapThis.
    Go to: \PSP\GAME4XX\mapViewer\system\ and open the CONFIG.TXT file. Leave most things, just change stuff for metric units etc. Just read the comments near the settings, its all straight forward. If you dont know what it does, leave it. Save, close.

There are some good tutorials in Deniska's section of the dcemu forums. Check them out as to how to use GMDL tool. Use Google non-satellite as those maps can be converted well by GFSFS later (I got all of NSW, at all zoom levels, from 1.5GB down to 200MB).

Also check out MapThis and GMDL on wikibooks. Good instructions are in the Sticky threads at the top of this forum. Just press back and read through them. The one labelled PSPnavi will get you using GMDL ok.

So when you have your maps on your memory stick, go outside, boot MapThis, load maps, press SQUARE and walk around. Make sure you are in an open area. It takes about 2-3mins to find some satellites. If that doesnt work drive around. Make sure the GPS device can see the sky at all times.

I will upload Australian navigation directions soon (after I finish recording them).

Getting POI working is relatively easy using Nieko's php site or GMDL tool.

Ill be more than happing to provide support the best I can to other Aussies who are trying to get this working.
    Last edited by Rusti.au; January 16th, 2009 at 13:07.

DCEmu Newbie

Just one thing. The best thing is, dont walk around, just go to an open area and wait until you get a fix.

DCEmu Newbie

Fair enough, I find I get satellites quicker when Im driving than in my backyard.

If any Aussies stumble on this and want more details let me know. Im at uni so this would be a great procrastinating excuse. I just don't want to put the effort in for no reason.

DCEmu Newbie

Heya Rusti, another Aussie here, just ordered my psp-290 from play-asia, been playing around with MAPTHIS! and the GMDL, got some maps created already, which I'll make available at:

baleted! (pays to read FAQ's and such)

got Sydney City, Sydney west, and Canberra so far.

Canberra was done with OpenStreetMaps, but the others are googlemaps...

if you've got other maps, please let me know

Next step I guess is creating the geodata for the maps, not sure hwo to do this as yet...
    Last edited by pwarren; October 3rd, 2008 at 05:40.

DCEmu Newbie

I really only need Sydney, if I travel interstate I can just make a map for that city.

I don't see geodata becoming freely available anytime in the near future. I'm keeping my eyes out for anything and if it comes around Ill post here.
    For now, Google directions will have to suffice.

DCEmu Newbie

Hi everyone,

I am in Melb, i have installed mapthis in my PSP Slim with FW3.77 or something. Got everything working, only problem is, map is too big, i only downloaded a small part of Melb city area and already 300-400mb, can you please tell me how to download whole VIC and convert it to smaller file? I also can't figure out how to install the part where you can enter address and go to one place. Please help.

Cheers
    Heng

DCEmu Newbie

Inside this folder...
    "\gmdl0.5.08b\GMDL\bin\Debug\GPSFS_util REMOVE THIS PART OF NAME FOR GMDL TO CALL"
    You will find GPSFS. GPSFS is a program that takes the .gpsfs files that GMDL makes and resaves the tiles as smaller sized images. The program is fairly easy to use, double click on the title bar for explanation. Make sure you are using the Google maps that are not the satellite ones, just the simple grey and yellow roads. They are a lot easier to make smaller.

For help on creating directions click on the directions tab in GMDL and read this... link

DCEmu Newbie

can you please tell me how to download whole VIC and convert it to smaller file? I also can't figure out how to install the part where you can enter address and go to one place. Please help.

Can someone please give me the link for the melbourne maps. I don't care how big it is becuase i have a 8 gb memory stick and it'll probably fit on there.

DCEmu Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by gerardwayz View Post
    Can someone please give me the link for the melbourne maps. I don't care how big it is becuase i have a 8 gb memory stick and it'll probably fit on there.

It's illegal to share Maps. You have to make Maps on your own.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information