Thread: Wii HD in 2011?

Blog Entries

Rev Wii HD in 2011?

The next iteration of the Wii will bring HD visuals, as well as improved storage capacity and will see the light of day in 2011, according to recent speculative reports.

A report on What They Play, authored by ex-1UP staffer John Davison and picked up by Edge Online, cites multiple sources detailing the Wii's successor. It's expected to retain the Wii name that having been initially mocked is now a byword for the expanded market the console has carved out. The new console will also address key issues with the current Wii, namely the lack of true HD visuals and the lack of storage space, and will mark a generational leap similar to that of from the original Game Boy to the Game Boy Advance.

Nintendo's R & D budget has reportedly tripled since the launch of the Wii in 2006, providing compelling evidence that a new console is in an advanced stage of pre-production. Don't expect any announcement soon, however – with the Wii still enjoying phenomenal success, it would be unlikely that Nintendo would want to spoil the party any time soon.

http://uk.wii.ign.com/articles/915/915106p1.html

DCEmu Rookie

meh.... they're one generation late.

DCEmu Newbie

"according to recent speculative reports. "

DCEmu Reviewer

2011? Generally a console lifespan is only 4-5 years. I'd have thought by 2011 we'd be seeing the Wii's successor.

DCEmu Rookie

"The next iteration of the Wii"

The Wii 2 basically.

I don't feel I've gotten much use out of the Wii I have now so I find it hard to get excited. I forgot who it was, but someone commented how the majority of 3rd party games on Wii are overwhelmingly bargain bin trash. Yeah, Zelda etc., is great but I really feel as if I'm playing the same thing now.

DCEmu Rookie

"and will mark a generational leap similar to that of from the original Game Boy to the Game Boy Advance. "

If true, then its possible the third parties may better embrace the Wii HD without sucking hardcore.

DCEmu Reviewer

Quote Originally Posted by TheLostProphet View Post
    I don't feel I've gotten much use out of the Wii I have now so I find it hard to get excited. I forgot who it was, but someone commented how the majority of 3rd party games on Wii are overwhelmingly bargain bin trash. Yeah, Zelda etc., is great but I really feel as if I'm playing the same thing now.
    My Wii gathers dust also. Zelda, Metroid Prime, Smash Bros. That's all I've played on it, every 3rd party game is just mweh.

(Haven't picked up either of the two Mario games yet, though I do plan to)

Thread Information