Thread: Standalone Guitar Controller For Nintendo DS Lite Available

Blog Entries

NDS Standalone Guitar Controller For Nintendo DS Lite Available

News from Consolesource

ConsoleSource.com is now offering a standalone guitar controller for Nintendo DS. This controller plugs into Slot 2 on your NDS and is compatible with the popular NDS Lite game Guitar Hero® On Tour.

Included with the standalone guitar controller is a carry case and hand strap. Order today for only $16.95.

Nintendo DSi future owners would be screwed with this.

DCEmu Regular

Yeah f*** the DSi!

DCEmu Newbie

You can buy another one at DealExtreme for $11.36. Free shipping. (referrral link)
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.d...769~r.76136188

I got the one at deal extreme, it works pretty well. i'm hoping to see if I can rewire the thing to hook up to a DDR pad. Play the DsDsR homebrew game using that hooked up to a steel dance pad.

Sadly, I seem to suck at Guitar Hero. then again, I probably should start out on easy and work my way up. Bleah, stupid learning curves.

DCEmu Newbie

Well at a bargain price of $11.36 (£6.36) free postage from Deal Extreme

I just had to get one!

At least so we can play 2 player without having to fork over another £30!!!

Here's some photos of it and compared to the retail REAL GRIP (pictures aint great had to use phone camera but they will suffice for now)

NOTE this is for DS LITE ONLY!

Front Box shot of the IMITATION GRIP

Front Box shot compared to REAL

Top of BOTH packages

Out of the box ... What you actually get ....

The Grip!

Instructions .. not a lot of information on there mainly how to connect the grip to the ds and how to hold it correctly etc along with how to fasten the strap and to ONLY use the STYLUS (not included)

The Strap for the grip

Velcro Fastening like the real grip but fastens from both sides unlike the real grip that uses just one

Strap attached to grip

Strap attached to grip and grip in ds ..

That's pretty much all you get other than packaging!

No pick stylus or stickers or grip face place with changeable images are included ... like the REAL grip not that it affects game play!

Also

a) The adapter that comes with the REAL grip for PHAT ds consoles DOES NOT fit the imitation grip taking it apart the connectors are different so will not attach!

b) The grip facia for your own custom art will also NOT FIT the imitation grip the imitation is too wide/fat near the buttons

BUTTON comparison Bottom Real

The imitation buttons are smaller not a great deal they work just the same and feel about the same maby easier to press but not loose.

side by side buttons ..(Left Real)

couple of extra shots ...

back shot of both REAL and imitation grips

Note that the REAL on the left has a strip of rubber or whatever near the bottom edge of the card to protect your ds the imitation has none its pretty much a hollow shell on the back of the imitation grip but so long as your carefull I doubt you will scratch your ds

This is a shot of the REAL pick stylus on the RIGHT with one that came free with a magazine on the LEFT

Kinda prefer the blue pick stylus as it looks more official than the REAL official one lol

Note about the pick ... there's no where to store the pick with the imitation grip when not in use so may get lost ... unlike the REAL grip that has a slot that the pick stylus can be stored in.

O.K. photos out the way onto the review ..

IT WORKS lol ... well of course it does it was made for the purpose intended!

Build quality .. although It looks tacky and flimsy its quite sturdy plastic and will no doubt last a long time with proper usage.

The Grip strap could of been done a bit better you need to kinda separate the two Velcro ends so there's a gap in the middle for the other side of the padding to stick too otherwise it just flaps around but works and holds well enough if you do it right.

How well does it work ....

It plays just like the real grip obviously ..

If you haven't already used the real grip then its doubtful you would know the difference in game play the buttons are responsive ..you will maby not need as much pressure to press the buttons as the real one but what do you expect for the bargain basement price of £6?? .... it does the job!

Was the price worth it ??

HELL YEAH 2 player here we come!!!

Would I recommend it?

YES its cheap and does the job .... but will advise try track down a PICK stylus (try eBay or games stores) using a normal one just feels weird and looks UNCOOL anyway lol

Scores on the doors

I give it 8 outta 10

It looses 1 point for the strap problem it could of been done better..

It looses 1 point also for not at least providing an imitation pick stylus!

All round view .. it does the job as a replacement for the real grip or as an alternate grip to play 1 or 2 players it works well and well worth the price

These are my views and thoughts and images ...they may not reflect your views or those of others on this product.

Does it stay attached to the ds better than the proper one. I have had problems with the grip coming out slightly, and the way the damn thing is coded, you have to switch off and on again, as just reinserting the grip does not detect.

DCEmu Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by spinal_cord View Post
    Does it stay attached to the ds better than the proper one. I have had problems with the grip coming out slightly, and the way the damn thing is coded, you have to switch off and on again, as just reinserting the grip does not detect.

Yeah its quite a tight fit to the lite and needs firm pressure to remove it although maby over time it may loosen up

but so far after using it a lot doesn't seem to loose connectivity to the slot too itself and its sticking fast to the ds during use

I bought one from deal extreme and the yellow and red buttons some times get stuck while playing, which is a problem.( The plastic gets stuck, Not an electrical problem) I'm going to try to mod it to prevent it from getting stuck. the green and blue buttons are fine.

DCEmu Newbie

A newer one has been released by DealExtreme. It has supposedly "built-in speakers" and is off-center to be more comfortable. It also has a play-through jack, and I think that's what they meant. Maybe there are speakers, I don't know. Anyway, check it out here (referral link, buy plox): http://dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.16691~r.76136188

Thread Information