Thread: How to Use the Playstation 3 Controller in Windows Vista

Blog Entries

retro How to Use the Playstation 3 Controller in Windows Vista

Hardcoreware writes, "So after picking up an emulator (I opted for Nestopia, which works very well in Vista by the way) I had to find a controller. As it turns out, I am very picky about controllers, especially for playing older games. When I play an NES game, I want something that is as close to an NES controller as possible. When I play SNES, I want a SNES controller. That’s why I love the Wii Remote and Classic Controller so much; they do a very good job of emulating the feel of the originals (I just wish we could remap the buttons on the Classic, so we can use Y and B as B and A - if you’ve played Super Mario All Stars on SNES, you will know what I mean).

But for the PC, decent controllers are few and far between. There are custom controllers out there - NES and SNES controllers converted to USB that natively support the latest operating systems. Cheap adapters are out there as well; everything from the NES controller to the DualShock 2 can be used with these. I needed one now though, and my choices were the XBOX 360 controller (no thanks, that cross pad is absolutely wretched), the gamepad that came with the Foxconn GeForce 7950 GT we reviewed last year (appreciate that they threw it in, but the cross pad is even worse than the 360’s), or one of my Playstation 3 controllers - DualShock 3 and original SixAxis. These controllers are pretty much perfect, as they have a nice cross pad feel, and a layout similar to the SNES.

If you’ve tried to install a SixAxis or DualShock 3 on a Windows Vista PC, I think you know where I’m going with this. It is actually identified in the Game Controllers section of the control panel, but doesn’t seem to accept button inputs."

Source Hardcoreware.
    Do me a favor plug me into a sega.

To be this good takes ages, to be this good takes sega.

It's thinking.

Ok I said it, now pay me!
    http://www.thejoypad.net
    Twitter page

This driver actually works pretty well. The only problem is, the L2 R2 triggers are recognized as digital buttons instead of analog axises. Anyone know of any driver that has working pressure sensitive triggers? Or can anybody edit the driver to include this? thanks.

Thread Information