Thread: Wii Fit set to outpace Grand Theft Auto IV -- gamer geeks weep, gnash teeth

Blog Entries

Rev Wii Fit set to outpace Grand Theft Auto IV -- gamer geeks weep, gnash teeth

Unafraid to incite elitist gamer geek unrest, respected video game industry analyst Michael Pachter has supported a prediction by GigaOM that Wii Fit will outsell Grand Theft Auto IV this year. Yeah, you read right: the latest entry into what is arguably the biggest hardcore video game franchise around is gonna get whooped by an exercise tool -- we're not shocked, we're just laughing. GTA4 was dominating at first, but with time interest has waned while Wii Fit and its included Balance Board peripheral have stayed hot despite supply shortages. Nintendo's hardware-focused strategy seems to be working; the Balance Board install base is approaching 12 million, or roughly 30% of all Wii owners. You can bet it'll be put to good use in future games and other, less mainstream applications even after folks have given up on losing weight and resigned themselves once more to lifelong loneliness.

http://www.engadget.com/2008/10/21/w...er-geeks-weep/

It's not surprising, really, as Wii Fit targets a larger audience, while GTA targets a niche market.

As a side note, GTA hardly qualifies as hardcore. I know many GTA fans blindly defended GTAIV, only to be disappointed by its more realistic mechanics and casual, frequent save points being removed. That alone proves a large portion of GTA's fanbase only casually plays the games for some quick carnage. Any time I've seen someone playing a GTA game in person, they're always running around on free roam with a ton of cheats enabled, and not much else, many of which never even having started the story modes of the games.

I've tried pointing out to people the games they play aren't hardcore, more mainstream.

All they did was get upset because they thought I classed them a some sort of wii fit enthusiast.

DCEmu Regular

There's different classifications of the hardcore gamer. I agree with Auriman1 though. Most that do play GTA are not hardcore. It is a mainstream game after all and not really what "most" hardcore gamers play. I fall into the category of the mostly play 2d/arcade/import/retro games. Then there's the hardcore PC only crowd. Anyways I'm way off topic. As for the wii-fit passing GTA IV that is kinda nice to see. I'm not saying wii-fit is good, since I've never played it, but its' just I don't like GTA at all. Never seemed like a good game to me. If everyone else like's it great! More power to ya. People do need to know though that just because something sells well doesn't mean it's good. This could go to both of these "games".

hardcore vs casual

hardcore themes = less people = less of a market
    casual themes = increasing people/users = more of a market

Which one would you make games for? I'm hardcore, and hate most casual games, but businesses will make games for the markets that have a greater possibility of high profits.

Thread Information