Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sega Saturn games on VC? Ever?

Question Sega Saturn games on VC? Ever?

I have heard that the Virtual Console isn't supporting Sega Saturn games right now because the way it's games were made make it too difficult to emulate. Is this true? I can't understand how a 32-bit game can not work on the Wii when it can handle games like Super Mario Galaxy etc!

One of my favourite Sega Saturn games is Guardian Heroes and one day I hope to be able to play it again! It would also be nice to play the origional Nights game after playing the apparantly disappointing Wii version.

Do you think it'll ever be possible? If they can emulate 64-bit N64 games you'd think they could do Saturn!

I severely doubt it.

Saturn is one pain in the ass to emulate.

And Nintendo 64 is easier to emulate than Saturn due to Saturn having more complex hardware and 3 main processors.

As far as I know, the Dreamcast is actually easier to emulate than Saturn.

Oh No! So this means I have to hope, pray and keep my fingers cross that Sega remake the games for Wiiware or a bundle pack!

I sure hope Treasure have the sense to remake Guardian Heroes in that case! We can't have that classic lost in history thanks to some technical mumbo-jumbo!XD

And if they can re-release Gunstar Heroes and Sin and Punishment....*shakes fist*

People have been working on a homebrew port of the Saturn emulator Yabause for the Wii. It's being worked on and looks promising. So maybe that's where you'll be able to play Guardian Heroes.

Quote Originally Posted by Eviltaco64 View Post
    People have been working on a homebrew port of the Saturn emulator Yabause for the Wii. It's being worked on and looks promising. So maybe that's where you'll be able to play Guardian Heroes.
    I would be so chuffed if I could! Do you know how long it will take?

I've never done homebrew before, only just catching-up with emulators and such!:rofl: Can't be as difficult as it sounds with everyone here doing it!
    Last edited by cartwright; October 31st, 2008 at 23:12.

sat

Saturn games would never be able to work on the Wii because the Saturn games were on CD-ROMs (which hold up to 700MB and the Wii has a memory space of 500MB), and the Saturn has a huge processor. If you want to play Guardian Heroes again, get the ISO or buy it from eBay. I've never played Guardian Heroes, but I might want to try it sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by RandomPicklez View Post
    Saturn games would never be able to work on the Wii because the Saturn games were on CD-ROMs (which hold up to 700MB and the Wii has a memory space of 500MB), and the Saturn has a huge processor. If you want to play Guardian Heroes again, get the ISO or buy it from eBay. I've never played Guardian Heroes, but I might want to try it sometime.
    Well right now you can use I think up to 4GB SD cards with the Wii.

Dream Coder

Quote Originally Posted by RandomPicklez View Post
    Most CD-Roms of the day only had 100 or so mb of actual game data, with the rest of the space taken up by CDDA music for the game. This could easily be delivered in a compressed format for emulation.
    If anyone is looking to buy, sell, trade games and support a developer directly at the same time, consider joining Goozex. Enjoy!

If all the data can be compressed really easily like quzar says then it sounds more than possible!

I had heard that because Saturn games were so complex and that extra layers of power were needed for emulation that no Saturn games would ever become download able on WiiWare/PSN etc!

Apparently my only hope was for Saturn games to be remade for the current systems due to emulation problems with the Saturn games!

May I ask what a ISO is as well?

sat

Quote Originally Posted by cartwright View Post
    May I ask what a ISO is as well?
    It's a disc image, meaning it has all of the files from one disc all in one file. Games from the Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, PS2, Gamecube, old Xbox, and many other consoles that use discs can be made into an ISO using a particular program. To burn the ISO onto a disc, you use a program like Nero, Alcohol 120% (recommended for burning the DC ISOs that are in .mdf format), or ImgBurn.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information