Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DCEmu Asks - Atari 5200 a History & Whats the greatest Atari 5200 Game Ever ?

DCEmu Newbie

Seems to be very nice

DCEmu Newbie

Default Greatest5200 game
    I am going to just throw one out there --

Mario Bros. Coleco had Donkey Kong, and Atari had Mario Bros. Due to the mismanagement of Atari, people were more focused on the blocky 2600 version. However, the 5200 version had a detail that was unusual for that time period. I was disappointed that it was missing the intermissions and the falling icicles (which didn't appear until much later in the game). HOWEVER, it has small details that are not even present in the NES version: The turtles jump out of their shells to kick them back over, Mario catches fire when hit by a fireball, etc. The control was a little off from the arcade, as one could be running full speed one direction and jump instantly in the opposite. However, the two-player head-to-head match lent itself to hours of competitive over-nighters. It was fun to play together, but it was a lot of fun to try to sabotage the other player!

The joysticks were unreliable, but as far as the non-centering issue -- IT'S CALLED CO-ORDINATION. People were just winers, because it wasn't what they were USED to, and people don't like to leave their comfort zone. Get over it already. I could play Pac-Man, Ms. Pac, Pengo, River Raid (with analog control!), Montezuma's Revenge, Popeye, Space Dungeon, and countless others for hours. Games like RealSports Baseball ROCKED with the controllers. My friends and I could play for hours.

Oh yeah... And the 5200 was capable of much more. The re-released version of Mario Bros for the 8-bit computers blows away most home conversions I can think of. And, if Atari could have released their version of Donkey Kong, game would have been over. Coleco had higher resolution graphics, but Atari had more attention to detail.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

DCEmu Newbie

It has to be Donkey Kong for me! CLASS A game!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information