Thread: ELSPA Introduces Traffic Light Ratings System For Stupid Parents

Blog Entries

General games ELSPA Introduces Traffic Light Ratings System For Stupid Parents

Responding to Dr., Tanya Byron's findings that parents in the United Kingdom don't seem to be familiar with the PEGI rating symbols, the Entertainment & Leisure Software Publishers Association (ELSPA) are introducing a traffic light system, reasoning that parents know that green means go, yellow means caution, and red means stop. Obviously they've never driven in my Atlanta suburb before, where yellow means "Go faster" and red means "Oh screw it, I'm late for pilates!"

“The world of gaming is fast moving and it is vital that we have a clear ratings system that is up to date with consumers’ needs. It has already been proven that everyone understands traffic light labelling, making it the perfect scheme for the industry to adopt.”
    I suppose if the bright colors fail they can always force publishers to shape the game boxes based on the ratings, forcing parents to push them through the correct hole in order to buy them. Hit the jump for a larger version of this new, possibly but not actually parent-proof system.

http://kotaku.com/5069805/elspa-intr...stupid-parents

I think it's a better alternative than the PEGI system. And more importantly a lot clearer, But i'm in 2 minds whether or not it will be better than the BBFC ratings that some UK games have.

But didn't we have an ELSPA system before PEGI?

If they want it to be less confusing they should just go with BBFC.

doesnt matter what they do, no one will pay attention to it

a few years back i saw some little shi.. kid with HIS MOM sitting right there loudly sining "jays rap" from jay and silent bob strike back, in the waiting room of a tire shop

and she didnt even notice, so why do you think she would even notice a game rating even if it was the size of the freakin box?

Thread Information