Thread: Analysis: PS3 selling more games than Xbox 360 with smaller install base

Blog Entries

ps3 Analysis: PS3 selling more games than Xbox 360 with smaller install base

The PS3 is rapidly becoming the bread-winner for many of the third party publishers. We wrote a story a few months ago where according to EA's financial report the PS3 was the clear bread-winner over the Xbox 360 and the Wii. Now it seems that Konami, Namco Bandi and Ubisoft have joined the ranks of EA where the PS3 console is bringing in more money than the Xbox 360.

It's mind blowing that not only is the PS3 competing toe-to-toe with the Xbox 360, it is out performing the later in many of the instances. Considering that the Xbox 360 has a larger install base by 5 million, it looks like the PS3 is performing more efficiently in terms of sales for third party publishers.

Since 2005, when the Xbox 360 first launched with no competition, it seems that the PS3 has been steadily climbing in terms of the software sales. This pretty much means that the PS3 has been taking more and more potential Xbox 360 sales as time goes by. The future for the PS3 looks bright and healthy, however if the current trend continues the Xbox 360 might find itself struggling to compete in the market.

http://gamer.blorge.com/2008/10/26/a...-install-base/

Good news.

Looks like 360 has a bigger casual market then.

DCEmu Legend

This is interesting news to say the least. However it isn't surprising really; Microsoft's first party titles are huge and launch with such fan fare that owners of the system probably don't want to play 3rd Party titles from EA.

Aside from the occasional WoW and that FF MMO (I can't remember all the damn numbers) my brother and his friends play Halo 3 religiously... I don't think a new 3rd party title has graced his system since Halo 3 came out...

But I digress; what the hell do I care? If MS wants to fall into the same trap that Nintendo did last gen (huge 1st party support; to the point that 3rd parties had to compete for sales of games on the same system and eventually said to hell with it) then that's their stupidity. In the end it will mean better games for us PS3 owners.

Quote Originally Posted by F9zDark View Post
    This is interesting news to say the least. However it isn't surprising really; Microsoft's first party titles are huge and launch with such fan fare that owners of the system probably don't want to play 3rd Party titles from EA.

Aside from the occasional WoW and that FF MMO (I can't remember all the damn numbers) my brother and his friends play Halo 3 religiously... I don't think a new 3rd party title has graced his system since Halo 3 came out...

But I digress; what the hell do I care? If MS wants to fall into the same trap that Nintendo did last gen (huge 1st party support; to the point that 3rd parties had to compete for sales of games on the same system and eventually said to hell with it) then that's their stupidity. In the end it will mean better games for us PS3 owners.
    Microsoft firstparty is almost non-existent. This news just shows how important the early release was for the 360.

probably because most of our consoles are being repaired at the moment.

Thing are geting reversed!
    In the past, the xbox console has failed because it didn't have support from japanese tittles at all. Now, Microsoft manage to get japan support after buying every single japanese RPG that didn't had PS1 graphicks, wile the western developers have began turning to PS3, Probably because it didn't got pirated...yet!

Wow this is very surprising news

Dont be fools.Xbox sell pirate copies too

DCEmu Newbie

Did anyone read these whole statements???
    Did anyone see in the UbiSoft statement where there is a disclaimer that these are estimated numbers for the next quarter??
    How about percentage of titles released to sales numbers?
    In the EA report those huge numbers were from what they call Forward looking!!!!
    Look at the rise in number of titles released, all four top consoles show increase in revenue!!!
    Another interesting thing i noticed was in the UbiSoft statement their rank and market share is scary (in the US #4 with 5.1%, in the UK #4 with 8.4%)
    One last note.....The more consoles you sell, the more games are released, competition for dollars gets tougher

Thread Information