Thread: Elysian Shadows DC Announced!

DCEmu Coder

Default Elysian Shadows DC Announced!

Our official website is http://elysianshadows.com

I've just uploaded the latest chapter in our game development series (the Dreamcast version plays a huge role) here:

Hey, everybody. I know that it's been awhile since I've really contributed or done anything useful around the DC Scene, but I've been off working pretty damn hard in the last few months.

For those of you who don't know, I'm a part of a team (with my little brother and a few friends) working on a 2D RPG for Dreamcast and PC. Unlike the unveiling of my other projects, I decided to wait until we had much more meat to show off this time. Our engine is just about completely finished. It's completely independent from the actual "game," so developing our game with the engine is a matter of writing Lua scripts, and designing worlds with our level editor.

Here are a few random screenshots:

Testing the in-game Lua debug system.

Messing around with the (still not final) menu system.

Random cheap little Lua-based healing tile that abuses the particle system a little too much (you should see that running on Dreamcast on the Youtube vid).

Nintendo might deny it, but Mario always supported the Dreamcast.

Really fake, extremely simple, Lua-based temporary battle system created by our scripter. It was created to demonstrate that Lua can manipulate almost every aspect of the engine, including completely breaking from the main logic and doing weird things like emulating a battle system.

And there are many more screenshots on our site. Keep in mind that none of these graphics are going to be used. These were taken during the development of the engine, so we popped some ripped sprites into it for the time being. We now have a few dedicated artists who have already made some very nice art for the game (that we aren't going to show off until we have an equally cool area to display them in).

We've been releasing videos on Youtube of our game development for about a year. We've actually become pretty popular in recent times (800+ subscribers). If you're interested in seeing the game development process from the perspective of our team, or even if you just want to see some in-game footage (PC and DC), I encourage you to check out my youtube channel:
    http://youtube.com/gyrovorbis

I uploaded our latest "chapter" in our development series last night. The Dreamcast build is a pretty big focus.

Our official website is http://elysianshadows.com, and there's lots of content and information on the project there. Please come check us out.

As for the Dreamcast build (I'm sure that's what you all care about), it's going to be the exact same as the PC. There's no downgrade or anything being removed. But you do get a VMU, and you do get to be a badass for playing it on DC. I've wanted to release a game for DC ever since I began with DC homebrew and the indie scene at age 14. I'm now 19, and I'm finally getting closer to fulfilling that dream.

As for release, demo, and dates, I don't have any. But you can definitely see how we're progressing based on the Youtube videos. That will give you a good idea for how much longer it'll take.
    Last edited by GyroVorbis; October 29th, 2008 at 03:56.
    Dreamcast

Smile

Damn, this looks promising. I cant believe something like this is actually being made. good work :thumbup:

Looking not great but if they really make that game for Dreamcast i `ll be happy !

The graphics are just placeholders. They are still working on the engine. It will take a while until the game's completed, but they are progressing fast.

DCEmu Coder

Quote Originally Posted by Basile View Post
    Looking not great but if they really make that game for Dreamcast i `ll be happy !
    Care to elaborate?
    Last edited by GyroVorbis; November 1st, 2008 at 10:38. Reason: I'm feeling like less of a dick now.
    Dreamcast

Thread Information