Thread: GP2X vs PSP vs Nintendo DS

Blog Entries

Question GP2X vs PSP vs Nintendo DS

With there being 3 leading handhelds in the world of homebrew and emulation, i thought that some friendly banter discussing the merits of each console and the downsides and without too much fanboyism come to the conclusion of which is the best.

Heres some info on each

PSP

Good - 333mhz console with widescreen, massive range of emulators and homebrew, up to 4gb hard drive space can be added, easy to upload on v1.0, v1.5

Bad - Shortish battery life, Annoying firmware updates that stop new users playing all homebrew

GP2X

Good - 2x200 Dual CPU console, Linux based, play movies without encoding, very impressive range of homebrew and emulators, many at full speed, up to 4gb space can be added, built in tv out, firmware updates to improve abilities.

Bad - Short battery life, concerns over build quality of first edition

Nintendo DS

Good -Long battery life, Stylus/Touch Screen is perfect for RTS games, Lots of homebrew but not as many emulators, up to 8gb can be added,

Bad - Weakest in power of the three consoles

Ok thats a very brief rundown of some good and bad points, which for you is the most well rounded of the consoles.

Let the debate begin

answer via the comments

DCEmu Newbie

Honestly

PSP...you want to watch movies on the go and play some decent exlusive games. If you are lucky you have a unit capable of homebrew and that turns this machine into a must have for most retro gamers...

DS...great first party games and free online service for some makes it a good overall choice. And the touch screen while a complete gimic in some games, and not used at all in others is very useful in games like castlevania and the upcoming worms, it just adds more screen space if nothing else, and the DS's clamshell design is always a plus. The homebrew/emulation scene for DS in my opinion is weak...

GP2X...movies, homebrew, emulators, an amazing scene, up to 2Gb of space on one SD card is the firmware limit, but with more updates coming quite frequently, there is no doubt that 4Gb will be supported in the future. The GP2X is just limitless...albiet there were some hardware issues to start out with, and the joystick isn't the best (granted niether is the PSP's but at least it has a d-pad) I think for any coder/linux/portable entertainment junkie, at $189.99 the GP2X is a MUST BUY. Do not buy this if you think you will get all the info you need fed to you...because you need some sort of knowhow about how things work and you'll have to do digging of your own on sites and forums to answer some questions...

Personally i own a GP2X, and a DS...and those together suit my needs quite well...if you don't have a console though, and you're not good at tinkering with things without braking them...get a homebrew capable PSP and a DS...

If the GP2X gets some decent commercial games (maybe not mainstream) I think it will be the ideal choice for all you portable entertainment needs with no restrictions on running whatever you want...

DCEmu Newbie

PSP- Overpriced, with only a few good games. Horrid battery life and firmware updates make homebrew more difficult than it should be. Nice screen. Lots of nice emulators. Overall, 6/10

DS- A great spread of innovative (and excellent) games. Good battery life and lots of potential for future games. Good homebrew scene, with emerging media capabilities (go Moonshell!). Some good emulators, some need work (SNESDS, I'm looking at you).

GP2X- King of homebrew. Nice screen. Linux (always a plus). Not so many "real" games (as in unemulated).

DCEmu Coder

sneak in a quick post @ work

I would have put the GBA at the top of the list, since Wraggs limited the options..

I say the DS, and I'm usually negative about nintendo.
    Since we're talking about homebrew & emulation, it boils down to accessibility. While the DS doesn't have much Horsepower it makes up for it in accesibility. A simple hack and a gbamp and you're running scummvm. Plus you get all the GBA homebrew as well..

PSP You can't go out a buy one to play homebrew @ your local shop. You're always at the mercy of firmware updates. If it wasn't that one detail it would be the king of homebrew (As far as retail games go..for me it still sucks.. I'm not a fan of racing, FPS's, or anything that involves "card battles" and that's 90% of the titles)

GP2X Wraggs called it King.. it may be king on europe & asia... When you live on the other side of the pond shipping, taxes, and exchange make it more expensive than a PSP. So would you rather have a PSP or a GP2X, or a DS w Homebrew Cart and 5 games? Until they start selling it worldwide, then it'll always be in 3rd place. I own a GP32 i think it's great.. but I don't know anyone else near me that owns one also..

DCEmu Newbie

What?! GP2X in 3rd? The GP2X honestly $#@!s the PSP in terms of ease of use for emulation, and when there are commercial games, they should be of good enough quality to warrant getting it over getting a more expensive PSP. I live in the US and it cost me about $200 for a GP2X shipped. A psp is what? $200 used? And I get to play what? Everything I can already on my xbox or PS2? The GP2X has everything the PSP and my home consoles don't (without a modchip) like Emulators, Homebrew, portability, the option to play DivX media, all sorts of goodies that I can't have on other things, that's why i recomend even the DS over PSP, because it has different capabilities that make it unique, just because everyone and their friend doesn't have a GP2X doesn't make it bad...

But, whatever...

DCEmu Coder

Quote Originally Posted by Cbass182
    What?! GP2X in 3rd? The GP2X honestly $#@!s the PSP in terms of ease of use for emulation, and when there are commercial games, they should be of good enough quality to warrant getting it over getting a more expensive PSP. I live in the US and it cost me about $200 for a GP2X shipped. A psp is what? $200 used? And I get to play what? Everything I can already on my xbox or PS2? The GP2X has everything the PSP and my home consoles don't (without a modchip) like Emulators, Homebrew, portability, the option to play DivX media, all sorts of goodies that I can't have on other things, that's why i recomend even the DS over PSP, because it has different capabilities that make it unique, just because everyone and their friend doesn't have a GP2X doesn't make it bad...

But, whatever...
    I didn't mean that since it's not the "in thing" makes it bad. Like I mentioned
    I have a GP32 I think it's absolutely great.. Problem is that it's very niche. I bought it when it first came out.. and it broke 1 week after I received it. That was the problem, down time + shipping costs etc..

My PSP, 1 fixed pixel, real bright cyan dead smack in the middle.. go back to wallywarts.. repeat the phrase "broken gimme another", and I get another. Open the box on the spot.. guess what more fixed pixels.. worse than the other.. hold out my hand "broken gimme another with good screen or my money".. I should have taken my money.. but..

The only reason the PSP edges out the GP on my list is that Korea isn't next door, plus it also has retail games... crappy but still there are some.
    If they would have a service depot and shop somewhere south of the arctic, and north of mexico. It would have been #1 on my list.

GP32's I can find locally, and the shops handle the warrenty, have games and accessories.

If Korea was just off the coast of Maine, (and it wasn't limited to the 3 portables) then my list would be..

1. GBA -> Cheap and affordable and no need to emulate GB/GBC
    2. DS -> Easy to mod, The touchscreen great for Keyboards (I'm real big fan of Interactive fiction..)

These have to top the list since commercial games play a heavy part in deciding.

3. GP2X/GP32 If these had some 3rd party support then they would easily be #1

10. PSP..

Thread Information