Thread: Deconstructed DSi Reveals Beefier Processor Might Be Draining Battery Life

Blog Entries

NDS Deconstructed DSi Reveals Beefier Processor Might Be Draining Battery Life

When the DSi specs were first revealed in front of the Nintendo money vault this past October, we noticed the battery life of the DS line went from "pretty awesome" to "WTF?" The brighter, larger screens were initially blamed for the 1-6 hour drop, but a field stripped DSi we discovered today hints the drain might be due to a beefier processor and speakers housed within.

http://gizmodo.com/5081197/deconstru...g-battery-life

DCEmu Rookie

Hmm, the post is just speculating about a faster processor, but it's not necessarily the case. However, I would be very happy if it's true, but just because it's manufactured in 2007 doesn't mean it's faster. The CPU is most likely custom designed by Nintendo so they might still be using the same one in the DS Lite.

DCEmu Newbie

If they would put there a normal ds cpu it would not look like this. I suspect this one is a fast rabbit, 133Mhz possibly, Integrated ARM9 and ARM7. Do you remember changes between PS2 and PS2 slim? this one looks similar.
    And, I don't know why everybody mentions arm 11 there? It would explain itself the uncompatiblity of some games, and the other fact that nintendo advised developers to not use arm 7.

If the CPU is 300MHZ, then, oh f*ck, it's worth buying it. Even with limited batery life. Imagine the first running N64 emu on DS, or more possible-PSX emu on DS.

Thread Information