Thread: Watch out for 3600mah PSP batteries on ebay, they may have less capacity in them!

General games Watch out for 3600mah PSP batteries on ebay, they may have less capacity in them!

Okay, so you may have heard stories like this before. That however won't stop me from telling mine though, so here goes...

After waiting about 8 days or so, my 3600mah battery I ordered from eBay came in. First thing I noticed, it felt light and somewhat flimsy than my official Sony 1800mah ones and upon registering that, I had a feeling that the they weren't going to last long in terms of runtime as expected from a high-capacity battery.

After charging it up in my PSP which took about the usual 2 hours or so, I turned on the unit to test drive the battery. It drained out in about 3-4 hours on normal 222mHz clock speed and the lowest brightness setting where my official two year old 1800mah Sony battery went for over 6 or so. I was thinking, "That's definitely not right, the runtime on the 3600mah battery is shorter than my old Sony one."

Since the price was cheap at £4 with free shipping, I decided to crack it open and whoo, what have we here...?

If you've ever opened an official Sony PSP battery, you'll have seen that the cell pack is bigger. On this particular one, it's smaller by about 40%, what a joke. The rest of the space is filled up with a metal weight that doesn't even make an impression when closed is anywhere equivalent to an official one as one can see below.

The process of cracking open the battery was easier than I thought it would be for the case parts were just simply glued into place. Certainly not like the Sony ones where I think the pieces clip in and that one must do more work to open it.

So in short, take care when buying any capacity PSP battery on eBay. Better yet, don't bother, no matter how cheap it and weather or not it has free shipping. That £5 or so can go to better things, like a couple of beers at the pub or other.

Last edited by Shrygue; November 12th, 2008 at 15:38.

Yes, these batteries are a true piece of s**t. One of those damaged the NAND chip of my valuable TA-79 PSP-1000... and the baterie life was about one to two hours.
    The money that i wasted with such trash coud be used to buy a good bottle of wine...

East of Lost Angels , West of Victom Ville

That sux. And I have looking into buying that exact same battery. Now, is it that these batteries are a total ripoff or is it that the guy you bought it from is selling ripoffs? And are the 2200mAh any better?

Quote Originally Posted by ish420ism View Post
    are the 2200mAh any better?
    Yea, I don't know if all of the 3600mAh are bad, or just this one, but I've got a 2200mAh (gold just like that one) and it works great.
    It's got much longer battery than the offical one, and I definitely recommend it.

DCEmu Old Pro

Since Sony no longer manufactures a battery for the phat's these POS maybe the only way to obtain batteries.

DCEmu Newbie

Default I bought one of them too

I bought a 3600mah unbranded battery from ebay.
    with the same aspect of the photo (yellow fonts on the black battery)
    As he says Shrygue it drains in two hours and half, three hours (half the time of a 1800mah Sony standard battery!!)

DCEmu Newbie

hey guys beware of the SLIM version of this battery it looks the same but silver writting instead, it lasts the same as a 1200mah battery and isnt 3600 by a long shot!! obviously was a definate waste of money even at £3.75 total price lol.
    Last edited by SuNnY_B; November 12th, 2008 at 14:12. Reason: DONT GET THE SLIM 3600MAH EITHER!

Quote Originally Posted by jamotto View Post
    Since Sony no longer manufactures a battery for the phat's these POS maybe the only way to obtain batteries.
    thats exactly why i bought mine. and for $3 including shipping, i get around 4 hours of battery. but mine has silver writing on it. i just bought it because my psp battery broke, and i wasnt paying sony's ridiculous price for a 30% longer battery life. but mine works great other then the fact that it gets a little bit warm if its on for more then 2.5 hours in my hand. which it almost never is lol.

Thread Information